British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-03-15, 08:27 PM

Default Show of Shows

Hello All,

Did anyone else happen to attend the Show of Shows in Kentucky this weekend? If not, it truly is a must attend at some point in your travels. Apparently it’s one of the largest militaria shows in the world. I did find some British and Canadian items there along with pretty much anything else you would want to see.

You could very easily be tempted to branch out into other areas of collecting because of the volume of phenomenal pieces offered. There were some primo groups of every period for sale from Civil War to FSSF to Vietnam. Another highlight of the show was the opportunity to meet the various WW2, Korea and Vietnam veterans / MOH winners that were present to meet and speak with the visitors.

Cheers
Old 01-03-15, 11:10 PM

Yes, spent 2 1/2 days at the show. It is a sight to see. Found many great items to add to my collection both US and British/ Commonwealth. I make an early and fast past through looking for low hanging fruit. Later making a better examination and roto tilling through the riker mounts and cases. To walk the show from end to end while at a moderate pace will take 2 to 3 hours.

Normally I set up one table with a friend who,has several additional tables. I sell so as to have money to buy what I want. The quantity and quality of items is overwhelming. It is hard to stay focused because there is so much to see.

British badges were a bit slim this year or at least original pieces. If this forum has done anything for me it has made me a more discerning customer. Picked up a nice collection of Canadian badges and cloth that had all been mounted and identified with unit history's and lineage. I am a sucker for these instant collections at times. It was nicely done by an old ASMIC member in the 1960's. Also picked up an older British military button accumulation. nicely displayed and identified.

My other area of collecting is US cloth patches. Picked up a number of beautiful bullion made pieces from the India Burma theater of operations. These will be wedded to several very nice Chindit badges recently acquired from forum member Roy.

I would venture to say I had seen or spoken to at least 6 collectors from the UK. Many European and Asian countries were also represented..
Old 02-03-15, 02:09 AM

Lucky you Irish!

Sounds like you did quite well. It was pretty much a militaria buffet! Too much to choose from and never enough funds to buy everything you want. It was great seeing many old friends along with making new contacts, including a museum who openly admits they sell off many items that come through their door in order to fund their museum. Everything on their table was very impressive.

I spent a few hours talking with the guest veterans. They were all excellent to listen to, but I enjoyed speaking with James H. “Pee Wee” Martin who served with the 506th PIR on D-day. I believe he also jumped in Normandy for the 70th anniversary at 93 years of age. George Klein was another interesting veteran who I could have listened to for hours. He was with the 2nd Ranger Battalion who scaled the cliffs at Point Du Hoc. The last fellow, Theodore (Ted) J. Paluch told me a chilling story about being captured by the SS along with approximately 140 other Americans; he told me they were stripped of all personal items (jackets, gloves, watches, gold, etc..) He assumed they were going to be shipped to a POW camp, but they gathered in a field instead. They became suspicious when they saw an MG being moved close to them. When the SS officer shot the first two men with his pistol, the MG began to roar, and many of these men tried to run but only a few got into the woods and managed to escape.

These veterans are quickly disappearing, so meeting them and listening to their stories first hand made my trip well worthwhile.

Cheers

Last edited by cw2311; 02-03-15 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-03-15, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I would venture to say I had seen or spoken to at least 6 collectors from the UK. Many European and Asian countries were also represented..
I used to attend the 'SOS' regularly from the UK. There are events that are larger (the 'War & Peace' show in its glorious, sadly gone past, Ciney in Belgium possibly), but it is still a very good annual event.

If you have even a passing interest in militaria it is something you need to experience once. It is very TR heavy, but that is the bread and butter of the global collecting market and the field that has tied itself up in knots with escalating prices for no real reason. Having said that, there is generally a good representation of most time periods and nations and you never really know what you are going to find on a table as you wander the hall with increasingly sore feet.

I recall finding BD's and Victorian tunics on a couple of tables to my delight and surprise.

It isn't that difficult to get to either, hotels are generally affordable, and sustaining yourself with non militaria food essentials is very cheap indeed. Couple that with a decent exchange rate (not the glory days of $1.80 to the £1 when i started to attend in 2005, but $1.50-60 is still respectable today).

From the viewpoint of a collector who is exclusively fixated on cap badges, perhaps you are best served by other avenues, but if you have interests outside of that area you will find much to enjoy and will have a wonderful time.

I would pick it over the 'MAX' every time.
Old 02-03-15, 12:53 PM

Agreed, the SOS is a large German collecting venue. Many of the same dealers with the same overpriced daggers etc as last year. It is akin to a display with prices or a traveling museum. I guess someone is buying it or likely just trading between dealers.

The organizers of the SOS have purchased the MAX as of late last year.
Old 02-03-15, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Roobard: I would pick it over the 'MAX' every time.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% Roobarb.

I was a regular MAX show attendee for many years. After watching prices climb astronomically, I felt the timing was right and I sold off a very healthy advanced dagger collection and narrowed my focus and finances to one area only. I only look now and don’t touch!

The MAX show in its heyday also had their auction and some interesting guest veteran speakers as well. His name slips me at the moment but I do remember meeting and chatting with a U-Boat Commander. Some interesting stories from the other side.

Cheers