British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-03-15, 06:19 PM

Cool Fox, ammo and private purchases

It is basically up to collectors how they persue their collecting hobby, Fox glengarry badges are now well over 100 years old and can be considered genuine antiques in their own right, as to whether collectors can tell the difference between Fox glengarry badges and more modern fake glengarry badges is difficult to say.

Ammo UK badges are well made and I suppose if worn by serving soldiers then can be considered genuine, but who can tell whether they were worn and by who?

As for private purchase badges, only for officers IMO.

Only my thoughts.

Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 02-03-15 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-03-15, 07:07 PM

I am happy to add to my collection any item that was worn in the regiment to which I collect and one of the most interesting and unusual things that I have is the metal shamrock that was made at Camell Lairds Shipyard by a member of the unit as a backing for the cap badge by the Pipes and Drums of the Liverpool Irish in the early 1950`s.

I am sure a lot of the experts would look at this item and say what the xxxx is that.

The same applies to other items, it doesn't really matter what the experts think or say, it is for the individual collector to decide if he is satisfied that the items in his collection are the genuine item or not ( although other collectors opinions can influence ones own opinion ) and I know from my own experience that what you are happy to have as part of your collection at one time may be very different years later.

As your experience and knowledge increases, often items that you thought were right and came from reliable sources can have doubt cast on them and items that you let go years before, with hindsight, you suddenly realise were actually rare examples that you should have kept and now wish you could replace.

My advice ( for what is worth ) is don't be too quick to move items on as one day you might regret a hasty decision.

P.B.

( now what happened to the Liverpool Irish WW1 sword I sold all those years ago, what happened to the Lancastrian Volunteers No.1 dress cap I sold........ and so the list goes on )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1036.jpg (56.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1064.jpg (59.7 KB, 24 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 02-03-15, 12:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
Fox restrikes have been discussed on the forum. It isn't a new topic just because you aren't familiar with them.

Phil
I never said it was. I don't collect British badges so I wouldn't know.
A bit like me asking you who the major makers of Rhodesian copies and fakes have been in the last 20 years and expecting you to know. I wouldn't.

Last edited by rhodesianmilitaria; 02-03-15 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Correct a spelling mistake.
Old 02-03-15, 12:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
I am happy to add to my collection any item that was worn in the regiment to which I collect
I have a tendecy to agree. Are the morale patches ordered by various regiments that are on a rotation to Afghanistan not genuine? I would think they are genuine as many are approved to be worn in the field by the OC.

The Rhodesian Scouts BeVo flag (photo 1) worn by some members of the 3 Cdo RLI during the Bush War. Is it genuine? Well it's a genuine scouts patch and yes there is photographic proof that it was worn on camo uniforms so in my opinion it is important. One could call it a 70's morale patch.

The Australian BeVo para wing (photo 2) which was PP in the 80's. Could it be classed as genuine? Yes because I have seen a photo of a shirt of a soldier serving in that time with this para wing on it.

Are the printed Rhodesian PJI brevets (photo 3) genuine even though they were never officially approved by the hierarchy of the air force? Yes because they were worn every day and I have uniforms from that era with them on and many photos showing they were worn.

7.jpg
IMG_4828.jpg
PJI_14.jpg

Last edited by rhodesianmilitaria; 02-03-15 at 01:18 AM.