British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-02-15, 08:40 PM

Default just some interest pictures

I thought that a nice winter project for me to do would be to research all the local militia units for around my home town. Which are the 51St Soo Rifles, the 119th, 226th, and the 227th Infantry Battalions CEF, I also know there is a connection with the 97th Algonquin’s, but I haven’t fit that piece into the puzzle of my research yet. I really didn't find much information, but what I did find was very interesting. So I thought I would just put that on the back burner for now, since I will be going back home this summer for a wedding. At that time I will go to the local library and museum, and do my research then. But I thought I would share some of the pictures that I did find of these units and of some of the men that served in them. If anybody wishes I will post the links to the sites were I got this information from. The first 5 pictures are of headstones men that died while serving during the FWW and the newspaper article of one private’s death from pleurisy , and are buried in Sault Ste. Marie, which is something that I did not know, but will check out in the summer. I am also posting a few pictures of some of the men from the units as well. Colonel Sydney Lewis Penhorwood, Private Thompson Edwin Durham, and Sgt. William Merrifield VC, are some of the more famous local heroes in Soo. For now end here and post more pictures and information later.
Len
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 425112_1.jpg (54.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 425113_1.jpg (60.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 425115_1.jpg (58.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 425118_2.jpg (56.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Headstone of Private Napoleon Quevillon, 51st Soo Rifles, in Old Greenwood Cemetery, Sault Ste. .jpg (65.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: gif 425118_t1.gif (11.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Colonel Sydney Lewis Penhorwood.jpg (26.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Private Thompson Edwin Durham.jpg (23.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Sgt.WILLIAM MERRIFIELD.JPG (56.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Manitoulin_boys_of_119th_Battalion_(HS85-10-31676).jpg (100.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg WW1 Regiment at SSM Canal.jpg (80.6 KB, 13 views)