British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-01-10, 05:52 PM

yes Alan, I've looked at it before, a great variety of useful material (not just military !) J
Old 29-01-10, 08:18 PM

This is a huge unchartered topic. The Wheeler Holnon book is very general. I have an original copy and it is basic. The Osprey book covers about nth percent, nth being very small. There are few illustrations, some drawings and mainly Div signs and above with some lower units. The Great war Forum can be useful and when one considers most battalions within Divs had flashes and it is mostly undocumented you realise how little is known and no book comes near to being useful!!!!

Sorry.

TRT
Old 30-01-10, 10:16 AM

I agree with TRT,

The Chappell book only scratches the surface of WW1 Div signs but in view of the lack of published material on the subject it is a good start ( in my opinion ).

The only Divisional History which covers the subject of Distinguishing badge of the individual units is the The Story of the 55th Division 1916-19. - see below

There may other divisional histories which cover the subject and other members may be aware of them.

I see in Grace Gibson collection sale catalogue that some items have been identified from the " Andrew Tonge Archive" and I wonder if anyone has any information about this source ?

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55.jpg (40.5 KB, 32 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 30-01-10, 04:59 PM

I believe that Andrew Tonge lives in the South of England. He has exhibited WW1 material at the combined Aldershot & District Military Society and Military Historical Society exhibition at Farnham each September. He also had a stand at the Military Odessey show in Kent held in late August.
Old 30-01-10, 08:59 PM

The Eighth Div history has an excellant and detailed plate of all flashes for all units in the Div.

TRT
Old 31-01-10, 10:36 PM

Default ww1 formation/divisional badges etcas

hi fellow members,
as it would seem that so little is known about this subject
ie so little is published and what is seems to have huge gaps in the info.
So i did wonder why as a forum could we try to keep some sort of a record of our members signs and badges etc which i am convinced over a period of
say 5 years or more would be one hell of a reference for the forum members to use to i.d.their own badges.
i do realise that it would be quite a lot of work at least initially to set up such
a project and keep it up to date new info that would undoubtably come to light. so if it is ok and other members feel it would be a worthwhile project
for us to undertake then i would offer my time to help set it up and run it.
regards andy.
Old 11-02-10, 03:11 PM

Here are some I have...

30th and 37th Div.

Both RFU

TRT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010_0211Collection0004 (Small).JPG (39.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-02-10, 07:08 PM

The two Players cigarette card sets are.Army Corps & Divisional Signs (1-50) 1924.And Army Corps & Divisional Signs 2nd (51-150) 1925.I have one of these sets stashed away somewhere,i believe they where also reprinted at a much later date.Phil.