British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-11-15, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT600 View Post
I have pm'd him here on the Forum regarding the 25th Army Tank Brigade and 25th Armoured Engineer Brigade insignia and will hopefully receive a positive reply in due course.

FMt600
Hello,

Unfortunately there is an error in the layout of this chapter...
I've controlled hundred times this book but i don't have seen this... Error is human.
Thanks to have ask this question, it will be corrected in the next edition.

The correct chaptering is :

- 21st Army Tank Brigade = yellow diabolo (1939 Pattern) + black diabolo on split shield yellow/red and yellow/green (1940-42 Pattern) + blue diabolo with red devil on yellow circle (1944 Pattern) which is also 21st Armoured Brigade (1945).

- 24th Army Tank Brigade / 24th Armoured Brigade = blue diabolo

- 25th Tank Brigade = black diabolo (with Mapple Leaf for 1944 Pattern)

- 25th Armoured RE Brigade = black diabolo on red/blue shield

I don't have any pictures or documents about these last badges, they are only described in a few famous books like Cole/Waring/Davis references. If you find something to confirm this, i'm always interested too !

Thanks for your interest.

Bruno
Old 30-11-15, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Bruno, My copy came in and it is a useful reference. Certainly a labour of love. Lots of information and some really good images.
One important observation. On page 313 a printed FSSF patch is listed. It is a fantasy piece. The FSSF were under the US ordnance system and never had a printed patch made. (See Ken Joyce's Crimson Spearhead for a list of patches used by the FSSF.)
It may be worth putting an errors/omissions sheet together. Errors/omissions can be listed and posted as a pdf, which those who wish can download?
Old 30-11-15, 10:53 PM

Default WWII British Formation Badge Book

Bonjour Bruno,
Le livre, C'est Magnifique! As is still signaled in the US Navy and Royal Navy; "BZ" (Bravo Zulu), i.e. "Well Done". Book arrived today, exceeds all expectations, and certainly reflects a labor of love. Sincere thanks for the "Amazon" quality packaging. Was concerned because of it being a paperback. Fast postage to USA, without a dent or scratch. For some of the more obscure original badges in my collection it provides added provenance. See; http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2015/0...militaria.html. Merde! with many continued sales, you certainly are deserving of it. Bonne Noel!

Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 30-11-15 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-12-15, 06:24 AM

Gidday Bruno

I have received your book today in good order , well packed and now slowly going thru it.

I first want to congratulate you on writing a magnificent tomb of a reference. I can see the passion and labor of love ,this will set the standard for future authors to follow.

As collectors of formation signs and shoulder sleeve Insignia (US), we collectors are always seeking the answer "Is this WWII era , what is this this construction ,what type of patch is this.." This helps to answer in part some of the endless variations whether standard or theatre made that exist , that need to be cataloged for future generations of collectors and military historians.

What i'm impressed with are the clean crisp colour of the pictures , the ease of reading in a simplistic yet informative style. The different variations which are attributed to various countries manufacture.

I'm pleasantly surprised and pleased to see the post WWII variations of certain units as this helps collectors in determining the era formations signs were issued. This has and will always be the bane of collecting formation signs and Shoulder sleeve insignia (US) for collectors.

Me being new to WWII era British Formation signs would be the same if you were going into US Shoulder Sleeve Insignia , this helps people like myself to identify what to look for and yes there will be some errors in a tomb this size, but that should not detract from what is a very enjoyable read and no doubt will be updated in future.

Again congratulations and a job well done.

Phill

ASMIC 4160

Last edited by Phill Lockett; 02-12-15 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-12-15, 01:32 AM

I got mine today and it is very nice!
Old 04-12-15, 12:30 AM

Hi Bruno,

I have received mine and a great reference work.

John
Old 05-12-15, 02:30 PM

I thought my copy was great. Thank you.

Like many who frequent this site.....you are likely to recall a number of the badge images. Recall if not from this site but from sellers albums.

Likel my badge collector friends, I would like to see Bruno complete his issues of books.
Old 17-12-15, 05:37 AM
Banned

Hi all.

For those who missed this on the first publication run more copies are now available on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WW2-Br...kAAOSwcdBWR0dp

FMT600
Old 17-12-15, 09:17 AM

Hello,
here is my offer for members of this forum who order via MP : -£3.
Bruno
Old 17-12-15, 06:02 PM

Thanks for flagging this up - my copy on order and awaited with interest
Regards
Mike
Old 26-12-15, 11:20 AM

Bruno,

Got my book yesterday. long awaited, and wasnt disapointed.
SUPERB!!

Well done. It has ID'd several signs I was struggling with and shown me other signs I didnt know existed and now want!

Could I ask about one in particular on Page. 319 - RM Siege Regiment.
The badge I always associated with this was the ALL red grenade (D375) what you describe as the 1942 pattern.

If the 1940 Patterns you show with red flames only are indeed RM Siege Pattern then it devalues the WW1 Infantry Bombers badge which is identical to those two.

Can you definately prove that these badges with red flames only were worn by the RM Seige Regiment in WW2 and if so were they made for the purpose or did they adopot an un used stock of WW1 Infantry Bombers badges?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 03-02-16, 08:03 AM

Would like to buy a copy of this book. PM sent.

Thanks

Graham
Old 08-02-16, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
Would like to buy a copy of this book. PM sent.

Thanks

Graham
Book arrived safely today. Looks to be a fantastic reference source. Unfortunately I now have to wait until my birthday to have a proper look as it is a prezzy from my son.

Graham