British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-01-10, 11:54 AM

I was told that it was worn in Hong Kong. The white on blue I mean.

I have an example somewhere but cannot lay a hand on it at present.

I will see if I can find it and let you know what conclusions i came to

Locking
Old 11-01-10, 12:12 PM

I have found the badge and have tagged it as HONGKONG GURKHA BATTALION. I have filed it in my to be looked at later file. The example that I have is emdroidered on felt and unworn. I gave it the name that the advertiser used but have not yet got around to investigating it yet.

locking
Old 15-10-10, 03:22 PM

Hi All,

Some more information regarding the red background and black kukri's from someone who has contacted the Empire to Commonwealth Project:

"28 Sqn was based in Hong Kong for many years. The Kukri emblem was given to the Sqn by the Gurkhas (garrison defence force in Hong Kong) as a mark of respect for the support that the RAF Helo Sqn had given to the Gurkhas. This crossed Kukri on a red background is seen on the tails of all 28(AC) Sqn Merlins and the aircrew wear the patch on their flying suits."

Hope this helps,

+ Anthony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28 AC Sqn Merlin.jpg (8.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-08-12, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur 257 View Post
There was also 26 Gurkha Bde based in Johore Bahru, however I believe that they did not have a Bde Patch, can anyone tell me if this was correct.

Arthur 257
For about 40 years I've been trying to track down proof of a sign worn by 26 Gurkha Inf Bde - and failed. I'm starting to believe that they didn't have one! My notes only state:

26 Gurkha Bde: Late 1946 redesignation of 6 Inf Bde, 2 Inf Div. From Hong Kong to Malaya 7 Apr 50 with 1 Cameronians, 2/6 GR, 2/10 GR. Comd as at Apr 52 was Brig (later Maj Gen) LHO Pugh
Old 21-09-12, 07:44 AM

Smile 26 Bde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur 257 View Post
There was also 26 Gurkha Bde based in Johore Bahru, however I believe that they did not have a Bde Patch, can anyone tell me if this was correct.

Arthur 257
Hi,Arthur,I served with 26 Gurkha inf bde,from early 1953 to aug 1955,the unit did have a bde patch which was the cross Kukries on a green background.The Bde was part of 17 Div in Seremban,and was stationed in Kluang where I first joined them.It was not long afterwards that we became,a mobile headquarters ,supporting operational unit close to the area of operations,in such places as Kual Lipis,Bukit Betong,Bidor,Kuala pilah,and finaly we marched from Kuala pilah to Seremban,the whole unit took part in thismarch.We did at the end of the day ended up staying at rasah camp where I eventualy returned home.Hope this helps Edward
Old 30-06-13, 09:51 AM

Hi all, yes agree with Edward, green background with crossed kukris was indeed 26 Bde. I served in Malaya 56 to 59 and wore that patch on one arm and the flaming ars----- on the other arm. I was billeted in 58/59 at HQ 26 Gurkha Inf Bde at Segamat. This was a permanent camp with bashas, not those terrible godolphins that I was in at Jamentah.

Still got a couple of my flashes and a few badges etc.
Regards to all
Old 19-10-13, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
Has anyone come across this white kukris on blue background? I only have a picture of it, never seen a cloth version. Someone did tell me it might be a Hong Kong Gurkha Unit possibly Air portable. Or somebody has just dreampt it up?

I think that 26 Gurkha Brigade spent some time near KL or the Highlands and wore the Gold Kris on dark maroon background.
Bit of an old post this but out of interest this may solve the question as to what the white kukris on blue background are? from the pictures below it could be the patch worn by the Singapore Police Gurkha Contingent?

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Singapore Police Gurkha Contingent.jpg (74.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg SPGC Detail.jpg (23.5 KB, 79 views)
Old 20-10-13, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Hi, Interesting thread, thought theses might be of interest! The Kings Royal Hussars cap badge and shoulder title with the crossed kukris worn as collar badges, next pic is the small Hussars eagle worn on the arm by the Gurkhas, not sure which regment, though the 6th GR comes to mind?

Regards Tony
Your mind hasn't let you down. It's 2nd Battalion, 6th Gurkha Rifles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27...he_Gurkha_link
Old 12-01-14, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willj View Post
Hi all, yes agree with Edward, green background with crossed kukris was indeed 26 Bde. I served in Malaya 56 to 59 and wore that patch on one arm and the flaming ars----- on the other arm. I was billeted in 58/59 at HQ 26 Gurkha Inf Bde at Segamat. This was a permanent camp with bashas, not those terrible godolphins that I was in at Jamentah.

Still got a couple of my flashes and a few badges etc.
Regards to all
Could you please describe or illustrate the flaming ars.... sign? Thanks. Mike