British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-08-15, 06:24 PM

Default Maker Marked Badges

My first post; and a very general question. Is it possible to find maker marked cap badges for all 260 infantry battalions? A friend has mentioned that the Nova Scotia highland badges (85,185,193,219,246 Battalions) never seem to appear maker marked.
Old 08-08-15, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting question. In our reserach for the new CEF badge reference, we are not attributing any badge to a maker without an actual example of the marking.
Old 09-08-15, 10:06 AM

Default Maker Marked Badges

A very interesting question; in deed!! As I am compiling all of the images for the upcoming "CEF Badge Book", maker marks (MM) are an interesting question. There seems to be no standard for whether or not a badge will have a MM on it. Reference files from the LAC; in some cases, have the documentation showing a particular company designed a badge and produced it. The actual badge may or may not have the MM on it. I have seen two badges of the same unit, both the exact same so far as my eye can tell (finish, metal, fonts, design, lugs). One has a MM on it, the other does not. the rule I go by is if the badge is MM then I call it that (A Scully badge, or, Birk's badge or . . . . ) if there is no MM then I refer to as NMM (No Maker Mark) Unit x. I try to stay away from saying "It is in the style of Tiptaft therefore it is"
Old 09-08-15, 12:26 PM

There are Tiptaft marked 85th's
Old 10-08-15, 02:45 AM

If you have a cap badge from the 85th CEF maker marked Tiptaft. Please post a picture. Never seen one.
Old 10-08-15, 10:55 AM

Not mine. These were for sale in the past year

Tiptaft.jpg

Capture1.jpg
Old 10-08-15, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Todd.That is the kind of information needed for the CEF book project.
Old 10-08-15, 06:34 PM

Thanks for your comments. I have been slowly working away at building up a representative collection, and have reached the ninety mark, sticking to maker marked badges only.
Old 10-08-15, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quite a project. I wonder if there will be battalions without mm badges?
Old 10-08-15, 07:42 PM

Default MM Badges

Todd
Could you contact me? I am doing all of the image work for the CEF BADGE BOOK (Alexander, Candy, Law, Will) and am always on the "hunt" for badges with a MM. Maybe I could get a list of what MM badges you have, I could check and see if they are already in the book and if not maybe you could spend some time - take some photos and I'll include them

Thanks
Old 13-08-15, 06:11 PM

I have an 85th Tiptaft with MM if you need images above and beyond the above pics.

TT
Old 14-08-15, 10:45 AM

Default Maker Marked Badges (85th Inf)

For the "CEF BOOK of BADGES", 85th Inf Bn there is only two badges that have a Tiptaft MM

85 Inf Bn- OR HB- Browning Brass- Tiptaft: (85A-6) Solid, 1 piece badge, void at lower Leaf/Banner.

85 Inf Bn-OFF HB- Silver Overlay-TIPTAFT: Silve Design Overlay, Non-Voided at Leaf/Banner

85 Inf Bn-OR HB- OSD- Void- NPR-TIPTAFT: (Not in Catalog [Cross/Babin]) Void Field (around the "85"), Void at lower Leaf/Banner.

Cross calls for makers: Hemsley, Inglis and Tiptaft. If you have a badge (other than above) that is Maker Marked!! Please!! May we use it in the book. Contact via PM

Has anyone seen a badge marked "Hemsley" or "Inglis". No deductions please, a visible mark!!

Thanks
Old 14-08-15, 09:29 PM

There is the McDougall Officers 85th , Unfortunately not mine either. Or maybe private purchase? :http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=17433

Last edited by sixxpackjack; 14-08-15 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Im a dunny....I mean dummy
Old 15-08-15, 04:46 PM

My Tiptaft example is a solid badge, no voiding and a darkened brass finish. MM in same place as above and same badge I believe.

TRT
Old 15-08-15, 04:57 PM

I have a 8th Railways with Gaunt tablet, an OB Allen CFA, Tiptaft 1st CMR shoulders, Tiptaft 1st CMR cap, Tiptaft 24th on slider, Tiptaft 16th on slider, Tiptaft Fort Garry, Tiptaft 19th, Tiptaft 7th, Hicks 8th, Tiptaft 27th, Tiptaft 87th, Inglis collars 36th CFA and Ryrie bros 81st.

Think that's it. Lots of Tiptaft as acquired in UK.

Hope this helps though all common I suspect?

TRT