British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-04-17, 09:09 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.
Default Passchendaele 100 Poppy Lapel Pin

Hi, I thought some members may be interested to know that the RBL are now accepting pre-orders for the Passchendaele 100 Poppy Lapel Pin at the same price as the Somme 100 Pin (released in 2016). Again, each pin will be dedicated to an individual soldier who died during the Passchendaele battle.

http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/passchen...lapel-pin.html
Old 15-04-17, 01:51 PM

Thanks for that, I have just ordered mine. Plus a couple of the badges they are also doing.

Do you have any idea of exactly what poppies have been made/will be made from melted down munitions?
Old 15-04-17, 04:22 PM

Visit the Poppy Shop @ http://www.poppyshop.org.uk

or call them on 0300 1239 110 for a free catalogue.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 15-04-17, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
Visit the Poppy Shop @ http://www.poppyshop.org.uk

or call them on 0300 1239 110 for a free catalogue.
I had a look around when I went to buy the Passchedaele poppy.

I found the Passchedaele badges which I added to my cart, along with the poppy. However, I could not see the "Flanders Fields" poppy, for example, which I know exists.

Maybe it's me? I will look again.
Old 23-05-17, 06:04 AM

My Passchendaele Poppy arrived a few days ago.

As you know, as with the Somme Poppy, you are given the name of a soldier killed in the battle.

Mine was named for a Lt J V Elderkin of the RFA, who died on 23rd September 1917.

I did a quick google and found this:

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/ro...le/Details/354

Why can't research always be like this?
Old 18-06-17, 10:18 AM

That's very interesting, I wondered how it worked, so you cannot ask for a poppy dedicated to a particular soldier?
I suppose that would create an administrative issue in itself, very nice little things though, research is always easier when someone does if for you, but, not always so rewarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post

As you know, as with the Somme Poppy, you are given the name of a soldier killed in the battle.

Mine was named for a Lt J V Elderkin of the RFA, who died on 23rd September 1917.

Old 18-06-17, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
That's very interesting, I wondered how it worked, so you cannot ask for a poppy dedicated to a particular soldier?
I suppose that would create an administrative issue in itself, very nice little things though, research is always easier when someone does if for you, but, not always so rewarding.
That is correct.

The first you know of the soldier that your poppy is dedicated to is when you see him named on the card when you open the box.

My first Somme poppy was named to a man in the Tyneside Irish, and I could not live much further away from Tyneside if I tried.
Old 18-06-17, 12:51 PM

Well, I hope they are a great success for the RBL, I was a little sceptical over the profusion of poppies that have appeared in recent times, RBL branded, sold on the high street, but, only a percentage of profit actually going to the RBL, pleased to see, in this case, they receive one hundred percent.
Old 18-06-17, 01:36 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post

That is absolutely excellent. I too was able to research the soldier for my poppy very quickly (the power of the internet) mainly because he was a pupil of Kings School, Canterbury and they had researched each old boy who was killed....even had the section from the war diary. This quickly gave me links to find his photo and ancestry.co.uk did the rest. This makes the poppy much more special and something nice to pass down to future generations.
Old 03-11-18, 12:25 PM

I wish I had bought one last year, they seem to sell for over £100 these days.
Old 27-11-18, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
An update for this year , you can now order a "Personalised Certificate" from Poppy Shop that you can dedicate to a specific soldier.

https://www.poppyshop.org.uk/first-w...rtificate.html

When the "Flanders Fields" poppy was issued it did not come with a certificate , I later went onto the Every One Remembered website and dedicated the poppy to a Gunner with the same family name as mine.

I am now in the process of having a personalised certificate made giving the soldiers name , regiment , rank , service number , date died and burial place.

If you know who you want to "remember" it is simple , if not you can do a search and find someone by name/regiment etc.
Old 29-11-18, 08:22 PM

In the particular case of casualties, the CWGC site has offered a similar certificate for many years now, simply search and download, then print, but, not really relevant to the RBL Passchendaele poppies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
An update for this year , you can now order a "Personalised Certificate" from Poppy Shop that you can dedicate to a specific soldier.

https://www.poppyshop.org.uk/first-w...rtificate.html

When the "Flanders Fields" poppy was issued it did not come with a certificate , I later went onto the Every One Remembered website and dedicated the poppy to a Gunner with the same family name as mine.

I am now in the process of having a personalised certificate made giving the soldiers name , regiment , rank , service number , date died and burial place.

If you know who you want to "remember" it is simple , if not you can do a search and find someone by name/regiment etc.
Old 30-11-18, 03:33 PM
MarkGD

Hi Mike, don't quite know what to say about that Poppy certificate, seems a bit like cashing in on the memories. My Great Grandmother lost five of her thirteen grandsons who served in WW1, i wonder how she would feel about it. The CWGC at least is a bit more in keeping for family, just my 'two penneth'. Regards Mark
Old 03-12-18, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGD View Post
Hi Mike, don't quite know what to say about that Poppy certificate, seems a bit like cashing in on the memories. My Great Grandmother lost five of her thirteen grandsons who served in WW1, i wonder how she would feel about it. The CWGC at least is a bit more in keeping for family, just my 'two penneth'. Regards Mark
Hi Mark, for me it was simply a way of "dedicating" the Flanders Fields Poppy I purchased in 2016 to a specific soldier as I had already done on the "Every One Remembered" site.

The other three "provenance metal" poppies came with a certificate to commemorate of one of 'the fallen' and I dedicated them to their memory on the site.

Are the RBL cashing in ?

I honestly don't know , perhaps they were asked if they could produce personalised certificates so that people could remember family members. ...

.... or maybe it was simply a business decision to increase funds.
Old 03-12-18, 05:25 PM
MarkGD

Hi Mike, please don't get me wrong, fully support the RBL, just some of it's money making schemes are getting a bit close to the bone. Best Regards