British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-07-17, 04:50 PM

Default BBC salaries etc.

As a licence payer I sincerely hope that,despite the details being released just as Parliament breaks for Recess,( a well timed move ? ) the disgrace of the amount of salaries being paid to certain " celebrities" will still be a subject for debate when the next Parliamentary session opens.

The names of a number of former BBC celebrities who have been the subject of Criminal Proceedings in the last few years for various, not very pleasant crimes,comes to mind when thinking about the situation.

Watching some of the " Antique"programmes on TV today, I despair at some of the so called " experts" who are trotted out on these programmes and then I think of what the publicity given gratis by the BBC ( and then being thanked by the BBC for allowing filming at their Antique Centres and Auctions on the end credits ) a lot of Auction Houses would have to pay to achieve the same publicity on commercial television.

Some things seriously wrong in my opinion.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 19-07-17, 05:21 PM

The average premier league football player earns more in a week than these BBC types earn in a year. I wonder who most deserves their 'large' salaries?

W
Old 19-07-17, 06:14 PM
LYPAO Boff

The BBC has become something I dont recognise anymore.... I have been a lifelong R4 listener .... and I find myself turning it off more often than not these days because of propaganda/social engineering dire tribe that spews forth.

They should abolish the license fee and let them become a British CNN..... at least then we dont have to pay them to insult our intelligence.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 19-07-17, 06:36 PM

It would be interesting to know the actual hours per week these folks put in. I wonder if they have an hourly rate - or more likely a fairly relaxed 'contract' to participate in a particular programme, with expenses paid. No doubt several further 'absurdities' are hidden in the figures. To say nothing of freebies, bun fights etc.
'Austerity' is an alien concept to these people.

If these payments are included in the 'public sector' pay bill then they must create a scewed image ... no doubt we will never get the full story as many journalists generally appear obsessed with self promotion of themselves and the media industry.

And lets not forget the figures exclude payments through/to 'production companies' for several major 'celebrities' not included in the list.

Then there is the nepotism ...

Anyway, Jeremy vine was certainly put on the spot
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-asks-whether/

Very uncomfortable reading ...

A fair days pay for a fair days work - but the way these salaries are set poses a mystery.

Last edited by Mike B; 19-07-17 at 06:51 PM.
Old 19-07-17, 06:41 PM
LYPAO Boff

One things for sure..... pay them that amount of money ..... and they will stick to the script.

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 19-07-17, 06:44 PM

My own feelings are that a whole raft of these overpaid BeeB persons should be drafted into any AandE Department of any hospital and made to stay there for at least twelve hours ... and then be asked if they feel their salary is justified.
Old 19-07-17, 06:51 PM

You mean as patients.......?
Old 19-07-17, 06:52 PM

Salaries of members of the Government 12 months ago as a comparison:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...d_17_10_16.pdf

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 19-07-17, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
One things for sure..... pay them that amount of money ..... and they will stick to the script.
You'll be saying that that nice Johnny Ross isn't worth all those license fee thousands of pounds next.
Old 19-07-17, 07:09 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
You'll be saying that that nice Johnny Ross isn't worth all those license fee thousands of pounds next.
Mr Wibble was loaded from the early days of his telly..... when the SJW thing was assigned to the wierdo in the student union bar.

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 19-07-17, 07:24 PM

The BBC is about 40 years past its sell by date. If it was run a a profit making business it would have gone to the wall years ago. The problem is that they are presented with an enormous "cash cow" (the licence fee) each year. They don't need to "work" for that revenue, its simply presented to them. Successive Governments have privatised nearly every other publicly owned institution, its about time the BBC went the same way. Perhaps they would then think twice about controlling their finances instead of throwing cash away.

Dave.
Old 19-07-17, 08:21 PM

I wonder if Charlie might become a "Casualty" himself when the Government starting kicking some a----`s at the beeb after these revelations.

P.B.