British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-05-17, 06:07 PM

Default WW2 Royal Sigs Officer's Cap badge / Phantom Arm Patch

Hi All - I'm new on the forum and have much to learn! I collect and operate WW2 / post WW2 radios as a Radio Ham and have a deep interest in the activities of the Royal Corp of Signals. I have in my collection a couple of wartime, what I've been advised, other ranks cap badges - the one piece affair. I know the two part badge is post war. Could anyone explain please the difference between the officers and OR's cap one piece WW2 cap badge pls? I re-enact Phantom as a Royal Signals 2/Lt and would like to get the correct cap badge. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Also - have a Phantom related question. From 1944 Phantom had it's own establishment in support of 21st Army Group. From the pics of personnel I've seen I assumed the Light shield with dark cross arm patch worn on the rt. shoulder was the dark blue cross on the yellow background representing 21st AG (Lines of Communications under a separate establishment). 'Experts' have insisted it was in fact the Blue on White of British 2nd Army. I'm not sure this is correct as Phantom worked with all Armies under 21st AG.

Can anyone shed any light please?

Last edited by phantomwireless.net; 12-05-17 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-05-17, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

WW2 ORs cap badges were in bi-metal (brass and nickel) with a vertical shank (brass slider)

Officers badges were in Bronze with blades.

and it's Royal Corps of Signals, Royal Signals or RSIGNALS.
Old 12-05-17, 07:52 PM

Also - have a Phantom related question. From 1944 Phantom had it's own establishment in support of 21st Army Group. From the pics of personnel I've seen I assumed the Light shield with dark cross arm patch worn on the rt. shoulder was the dark blue cross on the yellow background representing 21st AG (Lines of Communications under a separate establishment). 'Experts' have insisted it was in fact the Blue on White of British 2nd Army. I'm not sure this is correct as Phantom worked with all Armies under 21st AG.

For clarification, the formation sign of Second Army is below - the presence of the single sword is unique in NW Europe until after VE Day. The plain cross on a shield could have been (dependent on colour, period, context and style of manufacture could be: 21 Army Group, 21 Army Group L of C, HQ British Troops (BT) Low Countries, BT France, Hamburg District, Brussels Sub-Area. in my opinion. of these the sign most likely to have been worn by elements of Phantom would be 21 Army Group (Blue cross on red shield). Mike
Second Army.JPG
Old 12-05-17, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
WW2 ORs cap badges were in bi-metal (brass and nickel) with a vertical shank (brass slider)

Officers badges were in Bronze with blades.

and it's Royal Corps of Signals, Royal Signals or RSIGNALS.
Thanks Alan -
Q: Can you please explain the term "with blades"?
Q: and assuming "blades" are part of the attachment and hidden from view when worn is the design (size / shape etc) of the Officer's badge identical to the OR's other than for the OR's being bi metal and the Officers being a single metal?

Just asking as I need to be sure what I'm looking for.
Old 12-05-17, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post

For clarification, the formation sign of Second Army is below - the presence of the single sword is unique in NW Europe until after VE Day. The plain cross on a shield could have been (dependent on colour, period, context and style of manufacture could be: 21 Army Group, 21 Army Group L of C, HQ British Troops (BT) Low Countries, BT France, Hamburg District, Brussels Sub-Area. in my opinion. of these the sign most likely to have been worn by elements of Phantom would be 21 Army Group (Blue cross on red shield). Mike
Attachment 170407
Thanks Mike for the response. I've looked at many pics of Phantom personnel and vehicles and they all bear the dark cross on a pale background i.e. I've never seen any of the blue on red. Are you referring to pics - if so do pls share.

Question is really whether it was the British 2nd Army you've attached...or 21st AG L of C. I'm inclined to the latter. I've met the guys who host the Phantom website and they say it's British 2nd Army. I'm not so sure as I can't see the sword on any historic pics. I plan to visit Pembroke Lodge in Richmond Park and review photographs to clarify hopefully.
Old 13-05-17, 08:52 AM

Default WW2 Royal Signals Officer's Badge

Dear Phantomwireless net.

If you have the time and are really interested in Royal Signals badges.

Have a little look at my web site www.signalsbadges.co.uk

You might find it interesting and if you go into the United Kingdom section you will see the answer to your question regarding Officer's and Other Ranks pre 1946 badges.

Kind regards

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 13-05-17, 09:28 AM

Hello Chris - thank you so much for sending the link and well done on the website / collection. Question well and truly answered! You may have started me on a new hobby!

Best wishes. David

Tags
phantom, royal signals