British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-07-17, 06:11 PM

Default Books Napoleonic wars

I need some book advice please

My son wants to take a look at the Napoleonic Wars. He's asked me to recommend an overall book on the Army and another on the Navy.

Suggestions please.

Eddie
Old 17-07-17, 09:21 PM

Hi Eddie
Crumbs ... what a question ... there are so many !
I guess it depends, (a) How old is your son ? and (b) Does he want a "gentle introduction" or the "full monty" ?
I don't think any of the following can be classed as "easy reading" but, for the Army, my first choice would be "Military Dress of the Peninsular War" by Martin Windrow & Gerry Embleton, pub. Ian Allan 1974. Apart from the obvious indications in the title, this does give a readable and concise account of the war.
Followed by "The Armies at Waterloo" by Ugo Pericoli, pub Chas Scribner 1973, again a readable and concise account of the campaign. Well illustrated.
Moving on to a more detailed general history, there is of course the 3 Vol trilogy by Arthur Bryant, viz :
"The Years of Endurance" 1793-1802
"The Years of Victory" 1802-1812
"The Age of Elegance" 1812-1822
and of course the classic tomes by Charles Oman (7 Vols), and William Napier (6 Vols)
For the Navy, the only comprehensive title I can think of at the moment is "The Naval History of Great Britain 1793-1827" by William James (6 Vols)
One other title I would strongly recommend would be "Wellington. The Years of the Sword" by Elizabeth Longford, pub Weidenfeld 1969, or a similar work (perhaps more readable) by Richard Holmes, Harper 1996.
There are of course many more books on the subject, but these are the ones I would suggest. I believe all the "classic" titles (ie Oman, Napier & James) have been republished lately, so, if you want to dive-in at the deep end, then these are still available and reasonably priced. Regards. Jeff

PS: Forgot to mention the massive "History of the British Army" by Hon.J.W.Fortescue 20 Vols pub Macmillan 1905. Reprinted by Naval & Military Press (14 Vols) 2004. Individual volumes obtainable to cover the period you wish to have.

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 18-07-17 at 11:42 AM.
Old 22-10-17, 04:24 PM

For a basic intro and an easy read, there's the two books by Philip J Haythornthwaite.
Napoleons Military Machine and Wellingtons Military Machine.
Both include a small section on the respective navies.
They both can be had on Amazon for coppers.
Old 22-10-17, 06:48 PM

For the sheer wastefulness and tragedy of warfare of that particular period
'Waterloo - The aftermath' by Paul O'Keefe ... 'after midnight, 19th June 1815 on the battlefield more that 50,000 men and 7,000 horses lie dead and wounded ... '