British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-07-17, 05:03 PM

Default Cloth KOMR titles

A couple of snippets:
1. The 'KING'S OWN MALTA R.' title is the earlier version, white thread on scarlet felt. The 'pinkish' colour of the lettering is due to accidental rain soaking, causing the felt to run. I know, cause the title was my own, both of which I removed prior to returning kit.
2. The 'K.O.M.R.' title was meant to supercede the above title in 1971 but stocks were retained in Stores due to the Regiment's disbandment. So it was authorised but never issued.

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KOMRst.jpg (41.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-07-17, 12:34 AM

Interesting thread. Do you know if any of the KOMR titles were ever disposed of as surplus, or can all those now on the market be classed as suspect?

Thanks, Stephen.
Old 03-07-17, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Interesting thread. Do you know if any of the KOMR titles were ever disposed of as surplus, or can all those now on the market be classed as suspect?

Thanks, Stephen.
Stephen,

I take it you are referring to the "K.O.M.R." title? From what I know, these were consigned to QM's store and some were made available for private purchase from the Regimental Adjutant (Armed Forces of Malta). As I said, they were authorised, purchased but never issued. They were to have replaced the ealier title in 1971 but as it was decided that the Battalion was to disband on April 1st 1972 they remained unissued. Personally, I class them as Regimental. It was only a political decision that precluded them from seeing the light.
I hope the above answers your query but if not, can you elaborate what you mean by suspect?

GTB
Old 03-07-17, 10:59 AM

Question answered thank you.

By 'suspect' I meant copies manufactured to fill a gap in the market that could not have been filled by the real McCoy. If some were released from the stores then the possibility exists that genuine ones will be available to collectors.

Thanks for helping, Stephen.
Old 03-07-17, 11:53 AM

What I failed to show are the backs.

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KOMRst.jpg (50.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-07-17, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
A couple of snippets:
1. The 'KING'S OWN MALTA R.' title is the earlier version, white thread on scarlet felt. The 'pinkish' colour of the lettering is due to accidental rain soaking, causing the felt to run. I know, cause the title was my own, both of which I removed prior to returning kit.
2. The 'K.O.M.R.' title was meant to supercede the above title in 1971 but stocks were retained in Stores due to the Regiment's disbandment. So it was authorised but never issued.

GTB
Interesting, I only have a reference for the KING'S OWN MALTA REGT. shoulder designation which was listed in the 1949 CCN as catalogue number CB 2345.

Do you have any stores etc., reference for your shoulder designation with just the letter R at the end, or for the initials only?

Marc
Old 03-07-17, 03:43 PM

Marc,
I doubt it but will have a look see.
GTB
Old 03-07-17, 04:18 PM

The only thing I located was the debit voucher for items I purchased way back in '88.
The only reference is "L/F 940 TITLE ARM EMBROIDERED KOMR". '940' would be the individual item number but I have no idea what 'L/F' stands for. Possibly 'Ledger/File? Perhaps someome moreconversant with Stores classifications can assist?

GTB
Old 03-07-17, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Interesting, I only have a reference for the KING'S OWN MALTA REGT. shoulder designation which was listed in the 1949 CCN as catalogue number CB 2345.

Do you have any stores etc., reference for your shoulder designation with just the letter R at the end, or for the initials only?

Marc
Further to the above, I am informed that the title with 'REGT.' at the end was worn by officers, while that with 'R.' at the end by ORs.

GTB
Old 06-07-17, 07:16 PM

Check these out and the word "replica".
Jo

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWII-Briti...AAAOSwol5YwdJ9

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 06-07-17 at 07:17 PM. Reason: K.O.M.R. Shoulder Titles.
Old 07-07-17, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Check these out and the word "replica".
Jo

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWII-Briti...AAAOSwol5YwdJ9
Much of this seller's cloth titles / patches are listed either replica or repro. I suppose he has his source, possibly Pakistan where repros are professionally manufactured. A shame really, and just the thing to bring ruin to the hobby.A pity that the backs weren't shown.

GTB
Old 07-07-17, 08:52 PM

Not all repro badges are made outside the UK, there are many that are made here specifically for the collector and dress up community.

Marc