British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-05-18, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Default 1916 economy TF essex or not?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0963-10-B...p2047675.l2557

Top right badge - fake or fortune?
Old 08-05-18, 11:30 AM

Default 1916 Essex TF

I was watching this lot, but was not convinced as to it's authenticity, it looked too new to me.

Rob
Old 08-05-18, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I was watching this lot, but was not convinced as to it's authenticity, it looked too new to me.

Rob
I think it looked a bit rough, possible excavated and seriously cleaned. Mine is similar although looks to have had the EGYPT erased..
Old 08-05-18, 08:25 PM

Andy Plewa liked them enough to buy them.
Old 08-05-18, 08:32 PM

!
Old 08-05-18, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
I think it looked a bit rough, possible excavated and seriously cleaned. Mine is similar although looks to have had the EGYPT erased..
Hard to be 100% sure from the angle of the badge in the eBay picture but it appears to be from the same die as yours Keith. The 1st floor turret doors are distinctive - the keystone in the middle one and one to viewers right go into points but left one is oval.

Good stamping and nice slider. IMO doesn’t look new, just clean. I recently won a genuine Drake RND from this seller, that badge was in remarkably mint condition (aside from the damaged loop that wasn’t evident in the picture) so perhaps it’s from the same collection.

... all in all I’d have been tempted.
Old 09-05-18, 07:08 AM

Hello Troops
It is hard to tell the quality of a badge from a photo, if it was offered to me I think I would give it a miss.
There are a couple of variants of this badge, some have a gap between the castle walls and the oak leaves, some have this gap filled in as per the photo.
To me it does not look right, may be its a Lambourne & Co?
Regards Terry
Old 09-05-18, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rayner View Post
may be its a Lambourne & Co?
I don't think so Terry, the Essex "Lambourne" is very distinctive. I am yet to discover if Lambourne made a 1916 all GM Essex blank scroll, although they did bake a BIM one as we know.

If I had spotted the one in the link in the opening post, I probably would have gone for it.

Last edited by Nozzer; 12-05-18 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-05-18, 07:20 AM

Now that there are many repo's on the market, and a lot of different manufactures who made these badges, I would hang out for a badge that I was happy with. This badge in question has an extra large chain, looks too new, and the right turret is falling to the right. If you check out some of the H.P.C.'s for example on ebay, to the Essex Regt, the Sphinx looks like it is full of gas and its eyes are going to pop out, others look like the Sphinx is too heavy for the castle and the towers are collapsing, I think this badge comes in that category.
Regards Terry
Old 11-05-18, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Terry

All good points. Not for me either.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. All brass badges once again prove to be a minefield.

Alan
Old 11-05-18, 10:25 PM

I think given the price paid and the badges in the lot, the purchaser had nothing to lose.

Without even looking at the other badges to much, there are a couple of good ones. Even at boot sale prices, you would be on the money.

I will be checking a certain dealers offerings (assuming they didn't want it for their collection) for better pictures.

I think you could all do with being a little less cautious and perhaps take a chance now and then? I often do and more often then not walk away a little smug
Old 06-11-19, 05:10 PM

Thumbs down Fake

In the fake or fortune stakes this one is absolutely fake: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Essex-Reg...8371%7Ciid%3A1

I’d even go as far as saying it’s a very naughty forgery.

Looking closely you can see that the badge has been doctored. The blank tablet doesn’t quite fit and has actually been brazed on which is completely wrong for a original 1916 GM badge which should be a single stamping by definition.

Also the Firmin mark is wrong and that notwithstanding Firmin didn’t mark sliders in WW1.

One to avoid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52ECD0C8-40F6-44E3-9598-E17B767F1BC9.jpg (88.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 14168526-2232-4906-85D1-0BEA01AEFD9E.jpg (83.0 KB, 76 views)
Old 21-11-19, 12:18 PM

Got to agree Luke, this really is not good