British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-09-16, 02:56 PM

Original badges are out there but may be pricy. A number of companies make reproductions for re-enactors and display uniforms, if that would meet your needs. Lawrence Arsenal [ or 'Ordnance'] out of Australia has good quality copies of WWI badges for sale.
Old 19-09-16, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
Original badges are out there but may be pricy. A number of companies make reproductions for re-enactors and display uniforms, if that would meet your needs. Lawrence Arsenal [ or 'Ordnance'] out of Australia has good quality copies of WWI badges for sale.
I may end up going that route, but I would prefer authentic, of course.
Old 24-05-18, 07:03 PM

Default Further fun with the NWRVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
So assuming that's your relatives Regiment then the badge in question is 2686A in white metal. When it was redesignated in 1917 as the North Western Railway volunteer rifles the badge would have been used was 2687 and was in bi metal. An interesting unit - "frequently in action on the North West Frontier manning the armoured trains employed by the regular army". Tim

Hello All,

After a series of unfortunate events I'm back again (and better, thanks) but run across a few more posers. In my quest to learn more about the NWRVR/24th North Western Railway Batallion and their badges, I've run across this, transcribed from http://durbaronline.co.uk/PDF/PDF6arms-svces.pdf:

North-Western Railway Volunteer Rifles (1892)
PBP 1901-1947 – crown over Maltese Cross, lions at arms of cross, bugle horn at centre, wreath around, scroll below NORTH WESTERN RAILWAY VOLUNTEER RIFLES KC sp
s/t 1892-1917 - curved NWRVR bm

24th North Western Railway Battalion (1917)
Cap 1917-1947 – crown over 7-pointed star (crown forms 8 th point),
Garter inscribed NORTH WESTERN RAILWAY REGT, shield in centre with diagonal train and wheat sheaves KC bi-m

Non-military
Cap c.1900 – crown over shield with diagonal train and wheat sheaves KC wm

but pre 1901 – crown over shield with diagonal train and wheat sheaves, circlet around inscribed NORTH WESTERN RAILWAY REGIMENT (J H Johnson & co Aligarh U.P.) - large KC b

but pre 1901- crown over shield with diagonal train and wheat sheaves, circlet around inscribed NORTH WESTERN RAILWAY REGIMENT (no mark) – KC b

So what is meant by "non-military"? Some sort of badge worn by off-duty? And is the first badge the same as 2686A? The 2687 badge appears to be post 1920, unless I'm misreading. Any help welcome.
Old 25-05-18, 10:20 AM

What I found until now about this unit is here:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NWR-B.pdf (83.7 KB, 18 views)

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 25-05-18, 12:17 PM

Field Marshal Sir John Chapple GCB, CBE, DL, is the President of the Indian Military History Society. He began his service with a Gurkha regiment and was a lifelong collector of IA badges, until he donated his collection to the Natonal Army Museum and Gurkha Museum. Literally thousands of examples - I want to say '40,000' in total but can't recall. The Index you quote above is one he compiled over the years and, not surprisingly is less detailed than one would like.

OTOH, Sir John, whio is a scholar and a real gentleman in the classc british mould, would probably explain what he meant by 'non-military' if you were to contact him via the IMHS. My only thought is that these might be sweetheart pins or mess servants' badges and therefore 'non-military' in the sense of not being issue items but private purchase.

Good luck with the hunt!
Old 25-05-18, 12:18 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C...h_Army_officer)
Old 25-05-18, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Field Marshal Sir John Chapple GCB, CBE, DL, is the President of the Indian Military History Society. He began his service with a Gurkha regiment and was a lifelong collector of IA badges, until he donated his collection to the Natonal Army Museum and Gurkha Museum. Literally thousands of examples - I want to say '40,000' in total but can't recall. The Index you quote above is one he compiled over the years and, not surprisingly is less detailed than one would like.

OTOH, Sir John, whio is a scholar and a real gentleman in the classc british mould, would probably explain what he meant by 'non-military' if you were to contact him via the IMHS. My only thought is that these might be sweetheart pins or mess servants' badges and therefore 'non-military' in the sense of not being issue items but private purchase.

Good luck with the hunt!

Thanks, Peter. So far, I've found a bit on the regiment, including two old magazine articles; they used armoured trains, and sent a detachment to fight in East Africa during WWI; a machine gun unit that either my Grandfather trained, or he trained and deployed with. They also spent time fighting on the NW frontier, of course.

This was a nice help:
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/North-Weste...lway_Battalion

And I've managed to collect a shoulder-title from the NWRVR so far. I'll post a picture when I get home.
Old 26-05-18, 02:57 PM

Lovely! My knowledge of the post WWI IA is, like the Mississippi River, 'a mile wide and an inch deep' but it's nice to see family connections preserved and researched. Well done with the shoulder title!
Old 30-05-18, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Lovely! My knowledge of the post WWI IA is, like the Mississippi River, 'a mile wide and an inch deep' but it's nice to see family connections preserved and researched. Well done with the shoulder title!
Thanks- Good Lord, the NWRVR/24th Railway Battalion is hard to find information on. Still, I'm finding it in dribs and drabs. Sorry for the quality of photo. I'll try and get an individual in better light.
Old 05-06-18, 04:54 AM

NWRly badges/medals
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NWR-Badges.jpg (71.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg NWRly-medals.jpg (91.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-06-18, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
NWRly badges/medals
Fantastic! According to the Fibis page, they became the Northwestern Railway Regiment on 1 Oct, 1920. I'd not seen the shoulder-titles from that period, so those are impressive!
Old 07-06-18, 06:52 PM

Quote:
NWRly badges/medals
The three in the other photo, the cap-badge shield with the locomotive and sheaves, and the circular pieces... are those charms of some kind?
Old 07-06-18, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foremastjack View Post
The three in the other photo, the cap-badge shield with the locomotive and sheaves, and the circular pieces... are those charms of some kind?
And just realized my photo never posted:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0159 (1).JPG (100.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-06-18, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foremastjack View Post
They are sports medals. I have several to the pre-1947 Indian Railway.

There is a 'For Efficient Service' and and an ARP badge as well to the NWRly that is missing from my collection..Also a cap badge with NWR on scroll with a Kings Crown - someday with my luck they will come along
Old 09-06-18, 04:07 AM

Quote:
They are sports medals. I have several to the pre-1947 Indian Railway.

There is a 'For Efficient Service' and and an ARP badge as well to the NWRly that is missing from my collection..Also a cap badge with NWR on scroll with a Kings Crown - someday with my luck they will come along
I hope you find them! I want to find a war diary mentioning my grandfather. I think you might get your wish first! And