British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-09, 06:51 AM

Default Victorian Mountie badge

On my travels I picked up this rather pretty North West Mounted Police badge. It had the screw fittings for a pouch badge , but a slider has been soldered on to it - one can only assume that it was worn as a cap badge. Can anyone throw any light onto when the badge was used and was it a cap badge or pouch badge, or both ?
Thanks
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mountie1.JPG (47.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg mountie2.JPG (47.0 KB, 61 views)
Old 17-02-09, 07:38 PM

Mike. The NWMP badge you posted is a Very nice peice. If it is approx. 4" x 3", it is a pouch badge if it is larger approx. 6" x 5" it is a Sabretache badge. These are quite collectable and if you are think of selling it pm me and we can see if we can come to terms. Nice picture and quite collectable. Wayne
Old 18-02-09, 06:43 PM

Hi,
The badge is just over 2" at its widest point and about 2, 75" high.
There were a number of other RCMP badges in what turned out to be quite a big collection of Canadian ( mostly WW1) badges. Just how they surfaced in SA is not known.
I'll post a pic of the rest of the RCMP badges tomorrow.
Regards
Mike
Old 20-02-09, 08:48 AM

Here are the RCMP badges that were also in the collection. I assume that there have been many other badges worn by the Mounties - we just don't see them over here.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rcmp1.JPG (32.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg rcmp2.JPG (29.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 20-02-09, 08:51 PM

mike.
Thanks for the posting on the badges. The two Kings Crown badges, Cap and Collar, are Orginal's but the rest are 1973 Copies from a set done up by GAUNT for the 100th Annivsary of the RCMP. The two white metal Queens Crown ones are new to me. I have never seen the Queens Crown badges in white metal. Looks like a makers name on the Cap badge, could it be SCULLY? The size you give on the Victorian badge is for the Pouch. If you deside you want to part with the badges let me know. Thanks again for the posting. Wayne.
Old 21-02-09, 07:30 AM

Here are a few photos..... All originals.......

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nwmp rnwmp 001.jpg (68.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg nwmp rnwmp 003.jpg (51.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg nwmp rnwmp 006.jpg (62.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg nwmp rnwmp 007.jpg (49.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20-02-2009 EBAY 001.jpg (63.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 21-02-09, 08:56 PM

Mike. I sent you a messeage about and hour ago but can't see where it was posted and if you knew my talents with a computer likely I sent it to God Knows who. Anyway will try again. The last batch of posted badges are excellent. The Cap badge is an Orginal, I say this because again in 1973 Copies of this badge where made using Orginal dies. The Copies where changed by removing the small Diamond Shaped arms of the Cross at the bottom and replacing them with rectangle shapes, other than that same as Orginals. Now these badges are showing up and being sold as Orginals and a lot of Collectors have been fooled. The other badges are excellent. The two with the enamel and gilt are Sweetheart pins and I have seen them used on Ash Trays, Letter Openers etc. Nice pieces and an excellent photo. Hope this one gets through. Wayne.
Old 21-02-09, 09:48 PM

Wayne.....

Thanks I have made note of it...... Changed description to read the information you have passed on...... See you at easter.....

Mike

Last edited by QSAMIKE; 22-02-09 at 06:07 AM.
Old 24-02-09, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marway_wayne View Post
mike.
Thanks for the posting on the badges. The two Kings Crown badges, Cap and Collar, are Orginal's but the rest are 1973 Copies from a set done up by GAUNT for the 100th Annivsary of the RCMP. The two white metal Queens Crown ones are new to me. I have never seen the Queens Crown badges in white metal. Looks like a makers name on the Cap badge, could it be SCULLY? The size you give on the Victorian badge is for the Pouch. If you deside you want to part with the badges let me know. Thanks again for the posting. Wayne.
Yes, the manufacturer of the anodised badges is W Scully. I am interested that Gaunt produced a Centenary series of badges for the RCMP. Have they done this for any other units, if so there are a whole lot of tough to spot reproductions in circulation ?
Old 24-02-09, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

One of the sets of badges "officially" reproduced is the 1924 Canadian Air Force set. Reproductions have been done for some regimental associations or reunions, and there are some dangerous reproductions of CFA battery badges. A search of the forum will bring up many threads on Canadian repro badges. Here is a list of repro badges made in the late 1980's. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...t=reproduction Many of these are now showing up, and with 20 years age on them, it makes identification difficult. One of thereasons the forum is a great tool for research.