British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-08-09, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC_Birdgunner View Post
At the time he said they look and feel real, and that they came from his collection which he assembled in the late 50s.
Hi Denis, he's been telling this BS story for years. He totally relies on novice collectors who sometimes get into a bidding frenzy and actually pay quite a lot for what can at best be described as rather poor replicas.
I hope forums like this can educate people and stop them from wasting hard earned money.

I don't have any of the books you mentioned, but I've been told For king and country shows many replica insignia.
Peter Taylor's book on special forces insignia is great, I can recommend it.
Old 27-08-09, 08:24 PM

Does For King and Country ID the replicas or is it full of replicas and saying that they are real? It is and expensive book so I do not want to waste my money.
Old 27-08-09, 09:15 PM

It does not ID replicas; there's no point in that as there is a massive amount of them and growing every minute. It just gives examples of insignia, but they are replicas.
You may find my website of interest.
Old 28-08-09, 03:38 AM

Hi Denis,

Reproductions are often seen with nothing but negativity but don't despair as they do have some use!. There are collectors of genuine badges who are happy to accept a reproduction badge to fill a gap in their collection.

For a project such as your's, which sounds great by the way, I wouldn't worry too much about not using original badges. In the setting you describe, the badges are there to add some dimension.

When it comes to asking for advice, I would steer clear of posting links to stuff you've seen on the net, just in case a forum "lurker" steals your find. Better to get to know the regulars who share your specific interest and then ask them for help via pm.

Cheers,

Kev C
Old 28-08-09, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAC_GPR View Post
Better to get to know the regulars who share your specific interest and then ask them for help via pm.
Very good advice. PM me with links to rare airborne insignia any time.
Old 28-08-09, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Very good advice. PM me with links to rare airborne insignia any time.
I think that's Luc's way of saying he'd be happy to help
Old 28-08-09, 05:53 PM

There's a large reenactment community, so your badges are not worthless as they will be fine for reenactment. I suggest you sell them on a reenactment forum.

Talking of reenactment, the book For King And Country, that was mentioned is mainly a book full of reenactors, with examples of insignia worn that are all repro. So worthless as an insignia guide. Good as an equipment guide if you ever decide you want to act out WW2. So really a big heavy expensive waste of money. Best avoided.
Old 28-08-09, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
I suggest you sell them on a reenactment forum.
If Denis has matching pairs that is certainly an option.
Old 28-08-09, 08:38 PM

Quote:
There's a large reenactment community, so your badges are not worthless as they will be fine for reenactment. I suggest you sell them on a reenactment forum.

Talking of reenactment, the book For King And Country, that was mentioned is mainly a book full of reenactors, with examples of insignia worn that are all repro. So worthless as an insignia guide. Good as an equipment guide if you ever decide you want to act out WW2. So really a big heavy expensive waste of money. Best avoided.
Yes I have matching pairs of what I posted. Does anyone know a good reenactment forum I could go to?

Thanks for the info on For King and Country. I guess Geronimo! is the same deal? I have Ken Joyce's book for 1 CPB. Other than Peter Taylor's book what good insignia guides are there for British and American Airborne/SF?

Denis

[Edit] Tynesideirish: I forgot to mention really good idea. Thanks!

Last edited by RMC_Birdgunner; 28-08-09 at 08:45 PM.
Old 28-08-09, 09:41 PM

Try this forum Denis:

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/

There are few good insignia guides. My advice would be to get Peter Taylor's book and read all the info you can get online.
For instance:
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...splay.php?f=56
Old 29-08-09, 01:26 AM

Quote:
the book For King And Country, really a big heavy expensive waste of money. Best avoided.
A big thanks from me too for that review, was thinking of getting a copy sometime so you've saved me a packet.

Cheers,

Kev C