British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-04-18, 01:14 PM

Default Help on Uniform and Cap Badge Identification

The attached photograph is of my great grandad William Robson who died sometime during WW1. I am currently attempting to find his roots but have scant details to go on.

New link to photo...
https://ibb.co/hsdxz7

I have posted this on a couple other sites where one person seems certain he is of the Northumberland Fusiliers and is a Private.

It seems however that the cap badge he has is quite different from a typical NF badge. I want to know if different regiments of NF had different badges, and if possible could someone accurately identify this cap badge regiment and dress to confirm what has already been said on other sites.

Also he has some type of chain in his pocket and I wonder if this is also relevant.

Many thanks for any help you can give.
Paul.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mays dad William Robson.jpg (45.0 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by Paul2018; 18-04-18 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Adding link to actual 600 DPI photo scan.
Old 07-04-18, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Pual2018, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 07-04-18, 08:59 AM

WW1 Private in the NF.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 07-04-18, 09:09 AM

Northumberland Fusiliers Private.
Old 07-04-18, 12:35 PM

I can't be sure of the badge (looking at it on a phone) other than that it may be NF, I can't really be sure of the flame silhouette.
I wondered about Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
At least one William Robson of that regiment died during WWI.
A quick records check shows a number of Northumberland Fusiliers named William Robson who died during WWI.

The pocket chain will just be a watch chain or similar.

edit - I'm veering more towards R. Innis. Fus. from what I can make out of the flame silhouette and the design on the ball of the grenade, but still not sure.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 07-04-18 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-04-18, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I have been asking on a couple other sites too and most are saying he is indeed NF Private. However, I am a little worried that his cap badge appears quite different than other WW1 cap badges pictures I have seen. As Leigh here has pointed out it looks more like the Inniskilling regiment than NF. Another person pointed this out on another forum too, but still goes with the NF Private, which seems likely the case.

I will still leave it open that he could be Inniskilling too. As you say the pocket chain is not likely significant.

The problem seems a little compounded with the picture being so badly damaged, so we are possibly not seeing what the badge really looked like.

I have a list of William Robson's to go through who died in NF. I have a difficult time-consuming job trying to eliminate unlikely ones but will continue as have been this past year trying. Its a challenge.

Just want to be as certain as I can of what regiment he was in...NF or Inniskilling is a good bet so far.

Many thanks for the info offered by you guys. Any extra info I get I will post here.
Paul.