British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-09-17, 03:16 PM

Default Newfoundlanders in the Second World War

Could a Canadian expert on such matters give me a link (or links) to the decision making that resulted in the decision that led to most Newfoundlanders in Khaki in the Second World War being Gunners RA (as opposed to serving as Infantry in a re-formed Royal Newfoundland Regiment). It's popularly supposed that it was avoid the dreadful effects on Newfoundland of the destruction of the-then Newfoundland regiment on 1 Jul 16. With my co-author I'm trying to write an article on the Newfoundland Gunners of the SWW for the French magazine Militaria. Thanks. Mike
Old 03-09-17, 07:50 PM

You could start by checking G.W.L. Nicholson's "More Fighting Newfoundlanders: A History of Newfoundland's Fighting Forces in the Second World War". The Memorial University of Newfoundland has made it easy to find it as they have digitized it and made it available on-line. http://collections.mun.ca/cdm/ref/co...n/cns2/id/7204. It may not provide a cut and dried reference to the thinking behind the governments' (Newfoundland and British) decision to form units in the RA rather than other corps, but it is probably the most comprehensive single work about Newfoundland participation in the Second World War.
Old 03-09-17, 09:20 PM

Blackadder,
Very many thanks. Much appreciated
Mike
Old 09-09-17, 03:09 PM

Default Newfoundland shoulder title

On Page 57 of "More Fighting Newfoundlanders" there is an illustration of Gunners of 166 (Newfoundland) Fd Regt RA and a 25 pdr Gun. Two of the Gunners (either in reality or on the doctored photograph) seem to have whitened the word NEWFOUNDLAND on their shoulder titles - to make them stand out. I suppose that in a BW image the red lettering on khaki would not be clear. Is there a title in existence which has been treated with white blanco? Mike
166 Newfoundland Fd Regt_c Apr 42_Dorset.jpg
Old 09-09-17, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Newfoundland titles have been seen in buff lettering on worsted.
Old 09-09-17, 07:02 PM

Thanks.. Noted. But when one compares the lettering on the titles with the serial number painted in white on the back of the Quad, the former looks whiter than buff to me. Mike
Old 09-09-17, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed Mike. But the reported "buff" may actually be a faded or dirty white. I have not had one in hand to see the back and compare.
Old 10-09-17, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Agreed Mike. But the reported "buff" may actually be a faded or dirty white. I have not had one in hand to see the back and compare.
Thanks - having given this an airing an example of "buff" may well turn up. Mike
Old 10-09-17, 09:16 AM

Hi Mike
No real help to you, but there is an interesting parallel in that when the Newfoundland Regiment was decimated and withdrawn from the line while serving with 29th Div they were replaced by 1st Bn Royal Guernsey Light Infantry.

1 RGLI in turn came to a sticky end at Cambrai and later on the Lys.

In WW2 the States of Guernsey absolutely refused to allow the Guernsey Militia to be embodied in the British army in order to avoid a similar disaster.

Jersey, which had not had the same WW1 experience, sent it's militiamen to the Hampshires.
Old 02-10-17, 08:51 AM

Reverting to Newfoundland and the Second World War, can any member please give me a lead to where the photographic archives of the two regiments of Newfoundland Gunners (in UK, Tunisia, Italy and North West Europe) may be found. There are only very few available digitally from the IWM collections. Thanks. Mike
Old 02-10-17, 03:46 PM

I should have thought of it before in response to your PM query about the LCol Howell photo, but you'll probably find what you're looking for at The Rooms, which is now the repository of most of Newfoundland's archives. Much more accessible than my experience of visiting the old Colonial Building over 45 years ago when I was doing some very simple research.

I did a quick search using the term "gunner" and found a fair size collection of photos http://gencat1.eloquent-systems.com/...OI30_50222=529. Following some of the links or additional search terms should produce a lot of what you're looking for.

The Howell photo is also there online, but the quality is no better (maybe worse) than than found in the PDF of "More Fighting Newfoundlanders".
Old 02-10-17, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Some nice images at The Rooms. From the black and white images it is tough to tell if the titles are red on khaki or buff.
Old 02-10-17, 07:56 PM

Default 166 Fd Regt in Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder1916 View Post
I should have thought of it before in response to your PM query about the LCol Howell photo, but you'll probably find what you're looking for at The Rooms, which is now the repository of most of Newfoundland's archives. Much more accessible than my experience of visiting the old Colonial Building over 45 years ago when I was doing some very simple research.

I did a quick search using the term "gunner" and found a fair size collection of photos http://gencat1.eloquent-systems.com/...OI30_50222=529. Following some of the links or additional search terms should produce a lot of what you're looking for.

Thank you very much indeed. Much appreciated. I was particularly pleased to see some members of 166 (Newfoundland) Fd Regt RA wearing the formation sign of 6 SA Armd Div in lieu of (or in addition to?) that of 1 AGRA. I shall follow up on these images with my co-author. Mike

The Howell photo is also there online, but the quality is no better (maybe worse) than than found in the PDF of "More Fighting Newfoundlanders".
Thank you very much indeed. Much appreciated. I was particularly pleased to see some members of 166 (Newfoundland) Fd Regt RA wearing the formation sign of 6 SA Armd Div in lieu of (or in addition to?) that of 1 AGRA. I shall follow up on these images with my co-author. Mike