British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-16, 10:36 PM

Windows 10...Total GASH Don't do it mate

Any ship can be a minesweeper.....once (Admiral Hornblower)

If we were on a sinking ship and there was only one life vest.......I would miss you so much.

Instruction painted on US rocket launcher "AIM toward the enemy".........
Old 04-02-16, 12:11 AM

Default 10

I used for less than a week. The only time I ever had a "blue screen" The browser that goes with it I do like nearly as well. I had many shut downs using 10.
When I went back I lost all of my emails.

I get the pop ups to make the change at least three times a week

John
Old 04-02-16, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

The pop ups can be removed. Check on-line for instructions on how to remove them.
Old 04-02-16, 02:11 AM

Took over 6 weeks to finally install on my computer. Lost all my bookmarks and e-mails. Unable to use Outlook email (which is Microsoft) so how does that work not compatible with itself.

Also cost me over $200 buying hardware it didn't like.

My tablet which was only 8 months old and working great is now so slow is virtually useless.

Not a fan of Windows 10
John
Old 04-02-16, 05:58 AM

I did a seamless upgrade from W8.1 and apart from a few initial difficulties navigating the new system have had absolutely no problems.
Old 04-02-16, 11:19 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Ever since a lot of my friends received e-mails from me, begging for money, apparently I had been mugged in Athens, I have had trouble with my PC which was Windows 8 and approximately two years old.

I chose the option of upgrading to Windows 8.1 and gradually the performance of my PC worsened until I could go and make a cup of tea while waiting for a page to change.

Two examples of what I have now is one, sending e-mails that do not arrive and another is spending ages writing something only for the composition to suddenly disappear ??

Against my wallet's advice, I treated myself to yet another Processor already loaded with Windows 10, well, you have to move with the times, the only consolation is the fact that I have a choice of what to use but I might add that I have been told by several people that Windows 10 is themed on Windows 2000, XP and Windows 7, with the promise that Windows 10 will be easier to use.

Now I am as thick as two short planks when it comes to IT so watch this space ??????

Dave.
Old 04-02-16, 11:40 AM

Hello Dave

Like you I know nothing about computers, so I have been reading the comments on Windows 10 with interest. I have not yet changed from my current Windows 8 to the new version 10.

I do wonder though whether the problem is not with Windows 10 itself (when installed as original spec on a new machine) but when an existing version of Windows is replaced by the new version. Does this cause a conflict of interest, so to speak, which causes the problems so many people seem to be having?

I am going to stick with my existing version for a while longer!

Roger
Old 04-02-16, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
The pop ups can be removed. Check on-line for instructions on how to remove them.
Found and done, Thanks Bill
Old 04-02-16, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
Hello Dave

I do wonder though whether the problem is not with Windows 10 itself (when installed as original spec on a new machine) but when an existing version of Windows is replaced by the new version. Does this cause a conflict of interest, so to speak, which causes the problems so many people seem to be having?

I am going to stick with my existing version for a while longer!

Roger
I also wondered about this.
Old 04-02-16, 01:07 PM
Administrator

There are some severe privacy issues with windows 10. The default settings basically give Microsoft access to everything on your pc, and track everything you do online. Regarding invasion of privacy, It's as bad as it could get in my opinion.

Google 'Windows 10 privacy issues'. If this is new to you. You probably will want to change some settings!
Old 04-02-16, 01:28 PM

The other thing is even though you may have bought a new computer only 2 years ago it could have insufficient specs to run the program at a decent or acceptable speed, you may have at least double what it says are the minimum requirements and equal to the recommended to run it but it still may run like a dead pig as I found out and having to replace mother board,display card,processor and ram.
Old 04-02-16, 03:40 PM

Default windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
My personal laptop has the old version and works fine and so far I have ignored the attempts to get me to upgrade to win 10.

I was recently supplied with a new laptop by my company which as it is brand new came with win 10 already on it and it works fine, though as I am comfortable and familiar with using the older version, it is a bit of a pain to navigate around it when doing stuff, so I only use it for company emails and for logging into the company vpn's.

Perhaps over time I will become more familiar with it and will see the benefits, though I tend to think that upgrades are largely done to keep the software designers in work and to get us to keep shelling out for the newer versions.
I think these upgrades are along the line of Premiership Football Shirts,change them regularly to get the designers and manufacturers busy and to keep the punters spending.More or less guarantees your cash flow.
Old 04-02-16, 04:03 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

My son in law who works in IT training tells me that updates for versions under Windows 10 will not be available anymore and previous versions consequently may have security issues in the future. He also said that the programs that I use would not be compatible with Windows 10. I have decided to stick with Windows 7 because the major programme that I use runs well on Windows 7 but would not be compatible with the upgrade. I tend to use an iPad for Internet and so it seems pointless to upgrade my laptop. However, my son in law does suggest that Windows 10 is easy to use and worth having if you are buying a new high spec laptop.
Old 11-02-16, 05:00 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Some members may remember, a couple of years ago, getting begging messages from me because I had been mugged in Athens and I need the cash to get home ?

Having my emails ' hacked ' was a pain to say the least, particularly as the PC was almost brand new, I reset my PC back to factory settings and recently upgraded to Windows 8.1.

I percevered until recently but when I had messages sent but undelivered, or long messages disappearing before I could keep them and even on the odd occasion it would just turn itself off, I decided that enough was enough ?? They had left something nasty on the PC and it was compromised, I could have bought replacement parts but I chose to go for another PC.

My new PC is Win 10, I have had advice from a ' techie ' and a friend on the forum and I am still at a loss, Win 10 may or may not be a good syatem but one thing is certain, you need more ' nounce ' than I have to run it trouble free..................... I am losing the will to live ????

Dave.
Old 12-02-16, 12:11 AM

Default Win 10

I have been told by a PC teckie that Windows 7 can still be purchased. he did not say what the cost was.

John