British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-09-17, 07:15 PM

Default print to pdf

Hi all,
I just want to share a simple program.
I was looking for a way to print pictures with file names, I used explorer to highlight the pictures and you can make a contact sheet with 35 pictures and file name.

The only problem is if you have a long file name it will get cut off you will not be able to see what it was.

I wanted to print (save) as a PDF file so that I could send it to someone else, instead of sending lots of files and folders.

If you would like a copy of the program to use then drop me a line with your email address and I will send it to you.
It is totally FREE !!!!

The program will only look in the sub folders of the main folder you select and it will not look in the sub folder for sub folders. (if that makes scene??)

If you have any ideas please let me know.
Thanks for your time.
Derrick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00-explorer-print-pics-01.jpg (63.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 01-v1-01.jpg (95.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 02-v1-01-index-page-01.jpg (56.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 03-v1-cav-01.jpg (47.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 04-v1-cav-print-preview-01.jpg (47.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 05-v1-cav-save-as-pdf-02.jpg (51.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 06-v1-webpages-dir-and-pdf-file-size-02.jpg (60.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg v1-cav-pdf-file-view-01.jpg (51.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg v1-pdf-file-view-zoom-01.jpg (61.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-09-17, 08:41 PM

Hello Derrick,
Thank you for your kind offer. PM sent.
Tinto
Old 06-09-17, 09:34 PM

I print pdf files using Photoshop, and change the names afterwards, if necessary. Right click on the saved file: Rename.
If you want to send images from a pdf file, why not send the complete pdf?

If I send images, I tend to send the original uncompressed files using WeTransfer, jpg compression is meant for small internet files from the dial up connection time and the compression logarithm renders them unsuitable for (professional quality) printing.

Rgds, Thomas.

Last edited by fougasse1940; 06-09-17 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-09-17, 06:12 AM

You guys are amazing - all this technical wizzardry is beyond me but the results look fantastic.
I only wish I could follow it all ...
Mike
Old 07-09-17, 06:50 AM

Hi Thomas,

I don't have or use Photoshop, I was looking for a Quick (Windows) way to make a pdf file from pictures in a folder and be able to use what was available on the pc.
The program makes a simple web page, and users can use the web browser to print to a printer or file.
you said "If you want to send images from a pdf file, why not send the complete pdf?"

Apologies if I didn't make myself clear, I don't want to send an image from a pdf file, I wanted to use a folder of picture and make a pdf file from them and then send that file for the other person to use to compare what they have in a collection.
The sample folder I used has 365 pictures, and comes to about 218 mb and the pdf file made is about 28mb. A copy of each picture is saved at the size selected by the program as a jpg. I will take a look at "WeTransfer" , What format is the raw uncompressed files you send? and would i need software to read that file?
Thanks for your input, Derrick.
Old 07-09-17, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
You guys are amazing - all this technical wizzardry is beyond me but the results look fantastic.
I only wish I could follow it all ...
Mike
Thanks Mike.
Old 07-09-17, 07:20 AM

Got it, a single folder with multiple images will print to a single PDF document, very handy. Thanks for Highlighting Derrick

As a complementary tip, Windows 10 apparently comes with Print to PDF (can't confirm as I'm still on Windows 7) which will work with single images, saving webpages, documents etc. as PDF.

Steve
Old 07-09-17, 08:31 AM

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the tip and glad you get the idea.

I did download "CutePDF Writer" for Windows XP and that will do the same as the Windows 10 print to pdf.

The program will let you do single images or 10 Columns and 50 rows with page breaks or no page breaks with 10 Columns and as many as rows it take to use up the pictures.

I does not rotate any images, I could add it ?

All the best. Derrick.
Old 07-09-17, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Hi Thomas,

I don't have or use Photoshop, I was looking for a Quick (Windows) way to make a pdf file from pictures in a folder and be able to use what was available on the pc.
The program makes a simple web page, and users can use the web browser to print to a printer or file.
you said "If you want to send images from a pdf file, why not send the complete pdf?"

Apologies if I didn't make myself clear, I don't want to send an image from a pdf file, I wanted to use a folder of picture and make a pdf file from them and then send that file for the other person to use to compare what they have in a collection.
The sample folder I used has 365 pictures, and comes to about 218 mb and the pdf file made is about 28mb. A copy of each picture is saved at the size selected by the program as a jpg. I will take a look at "WeTransfer" , What format is the raw uncompressed files you send? and would i need software to read that file?
Thanks for your input, Derrick.
Right, understood Derrick. I don't send RAW files, they are only data, not a visible image. I work mostly with uncompressed tiff files.

Tiff files can be accessed with any image viewer software.

Images from my camera saved as tiff are 4288 x 2848 pixels and circa 35,5 Mb. Compare this size for instance to the maximum uploadable size here on the forum of 800 x 750 pixels and 117.2 kb. and you can imagine the additional wealth of available detail.

Any reduction in image size results in a loss of image quality, there are simply less pixels to convey the same image information.
Enlarging an image does not restore the same amount of information, images just tend to get muddled and fuzzy because computer logarithms work differently than our eyes.

The pdf file format was designed for office text documents and dial up connections, not specifically for quality images. Pdf compression is less worse than jpeg compression but with todays fast internet and huge storage capabilities I don't see a need for it.

Most uninitiated make the wrong assumption that images which look OK on the internet are also suitable for printing, this is not the case, computer screens work with a resolution of just 72 dots per inch, printers use a much higher resolution of at least 300 dots per inch, so the internet image gets really small fast if you want to maintain the same sharpness, or gets fuzzy and muddled when blown up to a useful size.

The free version of WeTransfer allows up to 2 Gb in one go.

Older versions of Photoshop can be downloaded legally and for free from the Adobe website.

TLDR version: avoid compression!

Rgds, Thomas.

Last edited by fougasse1940; 07-09-17 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-09-17, 01:29 PM

hi Thomas,
Thanks for all your information on file types and sizes, it was an interesting read.
Like you said cameras can now save the images as raw (probably TIFF format) or as jpg or both, and I think a lot of camera users opt for the jpg as it is convenient and it does not need to be converted to be able to use it.

If I use do use the raw file I would save it as a .png .

The idea of the program was to enable people to quickly make a web page based table with the pictures and to use what was available on the system to make a pdf file to share with others.
Thanks again.
Derrick.
Old 09-09-17, 09:19 AM

Hi all,
Just for a bit of fun , You might like this, umm , but then again you might not.

they say "a picture is worth a 1000 words" the png file has over 22,000 words in it.

To see the words : save the png file to your desktop.
(1) open it with Microsoft Paint,
(2) save it as a 24bit bmp to your desktop,
(3) rename the bmp file to .txt
(4) double click that .txt file to view it.

{the bmp file is to big to upload}

Do you see it all?
Derrick.
Attached Images
File Type: png 0002.png (32.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-09-17, 07:54 PM

I'm fairly certain the original text document didn't start with this:
BM¬ 6 ( d ·   v   3  Collection_text_report_V1.txt
The forum isn't even able to reproduce the various arrows and musical notes etc.
Why not just save a text file as such?

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 10-09-17, 06:37 AM

Hi Thomas,
You are right, the extra characters are what make up the BMP file header of the picture.

The picture was made with an old program from many years ago when mobile phones were just about able to send a picture.

I think the maximum picture size at the time was 640x480.

My Brother and I used the program to send text and zip files via the mobile sms network and at that time some people didn't use the internet.

I will take a look to see if I can get a hold of Photoshop and give it a go.
All the best, Derrick.