British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-05-16, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
Excellent post but I wonder, with regard to Pte Amy, if he doesn't illustrate the great shortage of chairs that was commonplace throughout the Punjab and the North West Provinces during the early 30s. A situation only exacerbated by the great earthquake at Quetta in '35.

Clearly an aspect of colonial history worthy of further research.
LOL Simon

And there was me thinking that Rfn Amy was sat on his horse which had obviously disappeared into a crevice after a minor quake occurred whilst the photo was being taken

Below is a higher resolution image of Rfn Amy that shows better the detail of his uniform/insignia.

I'm not certain whether his good conduct stripes denote 16 or 18 years of undetected crime but I am pleased to see a clear shot of his Pagri flash and that is a very nicely polished 1903 pattern bandolier, I wish that I had kept mine, shown below.

I am pretty clueless when it comes to medals but I presume that he is wearing GW ribbons, what though is the medal ribbon to the right, is it possibly the GSM for Waziristan?

Regards

Ry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RB FSH Pagri Flash India 1932.jpg (33.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Bandolier.jpg (98.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 22-05-16, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
Are the cross belt plate badges different. Ie the crowns ?
Andy
Well spotted Andy,

Yes, all of the officers apart from LT Col Crosbie appear to have KCs on their CBPs, whilst he retains the Guelphic crowned example that dates back to the time of his commission.

Ry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crosbie CBPs.jpg (25.4 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Charlie 585; 23-05-16 at 03:36 PM.
Old 22-05-16, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 585 View Post
LOL

I am pretty clueless when it comes to medals but I presume that he is wearing GW ribbons, what though is the medal ribbon to the right, is it possibly the GSM for Waziristan?

Regards

Ry
Ry,

he should be wearing ribbons for the 1914 Star, British War Medal and the Victory Medal. I will look to see if he is wearing an IGS medal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F Amy.jpg (76.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 22-05-16, 10:33 PM

I cannot find his name on any Indian medal rolls on Ancestry.
Old 22-05-16, 10:47 PM

If there are four good conduct badges they were awarded for a minimum of 16 years continuous good conduct, or 18 years with the odd slight hiccup.
Because the next award was for minimum 21 years, usually 23 years, he could be at the 22 years 364 days service mark, or as little as 16 years exactly.

Not an exact science.
Old 22-05-16, 11:58 PM

Greetings Ry.

Hope all is ticketyboo with you and yours.

I have, for some unknown reason, just stumbled across this thread, don't know how I missed it previously.

Firstly: a sincere welcome back.
Secondly: marvellous posts in respect of the photo.
Thirdly: hope to see you some time for a chat and a cup of Rosie.
Fourthly: Don't get kicked off here again.

Regards.

Brian
Old 23-05-16, 12:24 AM

One more post, and you'd have been a 'Guru' in the old days!

Guru.jpg

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 23-05-16 at 12:40 AM.
Old 23-05-16, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
Ry,

he should be wearing ribbons for the 1914 Star, British War Medal and the Victory Medal. I will look to see if he is wearing an IGS medal.
Thank you Simon,

That is very kind of you and also cracking info. I am very pleased to have Rfn Amy's Christian name as well, I had sort of settled on Francis as a guess but it is good to have it confirmed not least because I know another military man of the same name so a nice coincidence, thanks again

Ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
If there are four good conduct badges they were awarded for a minimum of 16 years continuous good conduct, or 18 years with the odd slight hiccup.
Because the next award was for minimum 21 years, usually 23 years, he could be at the 22 years 364 days service mark, or as little as 16 years exactly.

Not an exact science.
Thanks to you too Grumpy for the explanation and 'exact' enough, glad to know that I was in the right ballpark too.

In this case we know thanks to the medal roll that Simon kindly provided that Frank Amy had served almost exactly 18 years between qualifying for the 1914 Star whilst serving with 2 RB, and posing for the photograph with 1RB in India in late 1932.

I'm delighted to have been able to receive more info on this character, when I first saw the photo I didn't think I would net him but happy to have done so.

Regards to all
Old 23-05-16, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
Greetings Ry.

Hope all is ticketyboo with you and yours.

I have, for some unknown reason, just stumbled across this thread, don't know how I missed it previously.

Firstly: a sincere welcome back.
Secondly: marvellous posts in respect of the photo.
Thirdly: hope to see you some time for a chat and a cup of Rosie.
Fourthly: Don't get kicked off here again.

Regards.

Brian
Hello Brian,

Glad you are enjoying the thread mate, good that you spotted it*. In answer to your kind words:

Firstly: Thank you sincerely, it has been a while but nice to be here again so far.

Secondly: See above*

Thirdly: I'll look forward to it mate

Fourthly: I'll try my best to adhere to that but you and a possibly one or two other members might be glad to see me off again once I've RB'd you all until you are blue in the face, you know how it is

Regards mate. (oh, congrats on the imminent Guru status, it seems that I have a fair way to go!!)

Ry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Post count.jpg (12.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Charlie 585; 23-05-16 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Add image

Tags
peshawar, rifle brigade