British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-10-08, 04:37 PM

Default Very Different Silver War Badge Variation

DSCF0308aa.JPG

DSCF0309ab.JPG

I very recently acquired this badge for my collection. The obverse is very different to most of the variations and makes that have been documented. It has a very low issue number and, as such, was the third badge issued to a South African serviceman.
Old 06-10-08, 07:47 PM

Hi,

I'd be interested in some more close-ups as personally I'm 'not a fan', TBH I think the finish is lacking (i.e. it is rather rougher than one would expect) and the reverse pin assembly is definitely aftermarket.... a nice variation, is it silver or bronze (as it looks 'bronzy' in the piccy's). But tbh I'm not 100% sure on it, anyone else care to wade in?

Welcome BTW

Tom
Old 09-10-08, 05:15 AM

Thanks for the welcome and I hope to post many more items of note as time passes. This badge was purchased at a coastal city in South Africa and has not been cleaned and/or treated for years. It is silver and this will be clearer after it has been cleaned. With regard to the post- manufacture comment, that I cannot answer. My humble opinion is that given the early number of issue of this specific badge, it could have been one of a few that were manufactured in this way. I have many badges of SA issue in my collection, including one in its case of issue, but none that even appear similar to the manufacture and specifically the backing or reverse of this specimen.
Old 09-10-08, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrigade View Post
Thanks for the welcome and I hope to post many more items of note as time passes. This badge was purchased at a coastal city in South Africa and has not been cleaned and/or treated for years. It is silver and this will be clearer after it has been cleaned. With regard to the post- manufacture comment, that I cannot answer. My humble opinion is that given the early number of issue of this specific badge, it could have been one of a few that were manufactured in this way. I have many badges of SA issue in my collection, including one in its case of issue, but none that even appear similar to the manufacture and specifically the backing or reverse of this specimen.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, once cleaned it may yield yet more information, which I will be very interested in, I agree with your last comment I have seen quite a few and I've never seen anything like this one :-)

ATB,
Tom
Old 12-10-08, 05:15 PM

DSCF0411a.jpg

My wife has made an effort to clean the badge as can be seen. The patent and maker marks are now clearly visible. Any comments would be welcomed.
Old 13-10-08, 01:52 PM

DSCF0420aa.jpg

The obverse that clearly indicates that the badge is silver.
Old 15-10-08, 01:27 PM

Hi All,

After reposting photographs and some opinions, any comments?
Old 15-10-08, 02:04 PM

Would love to know who got it. Such a low number. It is really a grand item to have picked up.
Old 15-10-08, 02:30 PM

I am waiting for answers from some well-known South African researchers to see if they can find something. I would also like to now where and when the badge was manufactured as it does not appear in Howard Williamson's excellent reference book as any of the known variations.
Old 15-10-08, 11:56 PM

Sorry, I'm not able to offer any stunning insights into this badge. BUT I must say a very very interesting issue to be sure. My only reference for these "Class B" badges is what is contained in Robbie Johnson's book titled "Canadian War Service Badges 1914-1954"

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 16-10-08, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the interest and reply. I am running out of avenues to find the detail regarding type, variation and manufacture.
Old 05-05-09, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Attachment 9536

Attachment 9537

It has a very low issue number and, as such, was the third badge issued to a South African serviceman.
Hi,

SWB 'SA 3' was issued to Private 387 James Meredith JONES, 3rd SAI from SA Expeditionary Force HQ, London, on 17th February 1917. Jones enlisted on 16th August 1916 and was discharged with 'Sickness' on 12th August 1916, having served overseas. If you'd like a copy of the roll page, drop me a PM. This was one of just under 500 badges (SA1 - SA474) issued to members of the South African forces who were discharged in the UK (or at least for whom the roll pages still survive at the NA).

All the best,

Ed
Old 06-05-09, 05:03 AM

Hi Ed, I see you found it. Have a grand day. Regards Andrew
Old 06-05-09, 05:54 PM

Hi Ed,

Thank you for ending months of speculation.

Regards,

Will
Old 06-05-09, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Hi Ed,

Thank you for ending months of speculation.

Regards,

Will
No problem, Will, glad to have been of some assistance. I've got your PM and will forward on a copy of the roll.

Best wishes,

Ed