British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-03-12, 09:58 PM

Default Royal Dublin Fusiliers sweetheart brooches

Hi guys,

Now, after more then a half an year collecting Royal Dublin Fusiliers items, it's time to post my only sweetheart brooches up under correct section.
I hope you like them. I have seen some of the same designes and/or shapes used with the other regiments as well. If any of you knows any of these makers or can advise with period, when some of them were made, please let me know.

1. Nice and small silver made brooch with the enamel scroll. Unfortunately pin is broken off. Also there is no maker marks. Shows a lot of wear.

Old 26-03-12, 10:03 PM

2. Enamel brooch RDF brooch. Very unusal design I think. Crown looks like is Victorian period one and in this case can it be from Boer war period? Also I have seen exact same shape Connaught Ranger brooch.

Old 26-03-12, 10:07 PM

3. Interest "shell" fitting. I think it is some kind a common manufactury produced, because I have seen many similar brooches with the different regiments. Any idea the period - WW1 perhaps?

Old 26-03-12, 10:11 PM

4. Here is my new find what I just got today. Nice enamel brooch. Especially on the back it's possible to see that the manufacturer used cheaper metalls. I presume from that it was done as a mass production?

Old 26-03-12, 10:15 PM

5. Here is the brooch what I think is one of the kind - made privatelly from RDF cap badge or is there similar ones around. Looks like its nicelly gilded enlisted men cap badge.

Old 26-03-12, 10:39 PM

6. and last tonight one nice quality silver piece with the enamel scroll. This one is maker marked: "STERLING SILVER" and "H&H" what I think means Hukin & Heath Ltd.

Old 27-03-12, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaethon View Post
Hi guys,

Now, after more then a half an year collecting Royal Dublin Fusiliers items, it's time to post my only sweetheart brooches up under correct section.
I hope you like them. I have seen some of the same designes and/or shapes used with the other regiments as well. If any of you knows any of these makers or can advise with period, when some of them were made, please let me know.

1. Nice and small silver made brooch with the enamel scroll. Unfortunately pin is broken off. Also there is no maker marks. Shows a lot of wear.
Superb little brooch, a great number with blue enamel scrolls were made during WW1.

In general there were 3 types of brooch in ascending levels of affordability. The cheapest were often of nickel and or brass and for a little more money could be enamelled. The mid range level were often in sterling silver and could also be enamelled. The top level were in precious metal such as gold and could be either finely enamelled or inlaid with precious stones.
Old 27-03-12, 08:40 AM

Quote:
2. Enamel brooch RDF brooch. Very unusal design I think. Crown looks like is Victorian period one and in this case can it be from Boer war period? Also I have seen exact same shape Connaught Ranger brooch.
Yes I think this is a Boer War brooch on white enamel backing, as the type of crown depicted was commonly seen during Queen Victoria's reign after she became Queen Empress. I agree that variants for many other regiments were produced.
Old 27-03-12, 08:42 AM

Quote:
3. Interest "shell" fitting. I think it is some kind a common manufactury produced, because I have seen many similar brooches with the different regiments. Any idea the period - WW1 perhaps?
A common type of WW1 era brooch set upon so-called "Mother Of Pearl" (i.e. polished oyster/sea shell).

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 27-03-12 at 03:06 PM.
Old 27-03-12, 08:44 AM

Quote:
4. Here is my new find what I just got today. Nice enamel brooch. Especially on the back it's possible to see that the manufacturer used cheaper metalls. I presume from that it was done as a mass production?
This one is typical of the lower grade, but enamelled brooches.
Old 27-03-12, 08:46 AM

Quote:
5. Here is the brooch what I think is one of the kind - made privatelly from RDF cap badge or is there similar ones around. Looks like its nicelly gilded enlisted men cap badge.
Yes, this has clearly been made up privately by a jeweller using an issue badge that has then had a pin fixing and gilding applied. These are less common, but still quite often seen because of the sheer scale of military mobilization at that time.
Old 27-03-12, 08:48 AM

Quote:
6. and last tonight one nice quality silver piece with the enamel scroll. This one is maker marked: "STERLING SILVER" and "H&H" what I think means Hukin & Heath Ltd.
A lovely sterling silver brooch that has utilised the unusual shape of flames used for a short period as RDF officers insignia. It is also far less common to see green enamel, reflecting perhaps the popular perception of Ireland as the 'Emerald Isle'.
Old 27-03-12, 11:13 AM

Thank you so much Toby!

Splendid information! One more brooch will be follow this week, when its here.

Are there any picture materials of "top class" RDF brooches? Also I am looking a picture(s) where is possible to see RDF brooch on wear. Hard task I think.

If we go to this slippery slop road and try to guess how many different examples of one regiment brooches there were produced, what would be the figure? I mean the ones what was done by manufactories in bigger quantities and not involve higher end custom made jewellery pieces. I think I am not wrong if I guess that it’s the area to get out a single collection?

Thanks guys again,

Timo aka Phaethon
Old 27-03-12, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much Toby!

Splendid information! One more brooch will be follow this week, when its here.

Are there any picture materials of "top class" RDF brooches? Also I am looking a picture(s) where is possible to see RDF brooch on wear. Hard task I think.

If we go to this slippery slop road and try to guess how many different examples of one regiment brooches there were produced, what would be the figure? I mean the ones what was done by manufactories in bigger quantities and not involve higher end custom made jewellery pieces. I think I am not wrong if I guess that it’s the area to get out a single collection?

Thanks guys again,

Timo aka Phaethon
You can see a range of different brooches here:

http://www.regimentalbrooches.com/

and here: http://empiretocommonwealth.webs.com...rtbrooches.htm

and many good examples here: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Swe...w=1920&bih=966
Old 27-03-12, 03:39 PM

Thanks again.

Actually during my researches I found bouth sites and find them great sources of info, so these are bookmarked. Also one of the RDF brooches I obtained from Sally Bosley's site.

Regards,

Timo aka Phaethon