British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-12-11, 10:46 PM
lionel

Default is this the east yorkshire regiment in ww2 ??

hi folks

i am trying to find out which regiment my great uncle fought with in ww2 and post ww2 as well , i dont have any better pictures but i do have his mini medals which includes his csm with 3 bars arabian peninsula/near east/mayala !

can anbody help me with this please ??

Last edited by lionel; 25-07-12 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-12-11, 11:03 PM

Cannot make out the badges on the two solo photographs but they do not look to be East Yorks badges. The band sahs he is wearing looks to have ER on so if you know that there is a Yorkshire connection it could be the Yorkshire brigade badge he is wearing (1958ish to 1970 ish).
Old 12-12-11, 11:08 PM
lionel

thanks for that , could the award of the burma star and the 3 bars on his CSM Arabian peninsula/near east/mayala shed any light on his regiment ??
Old 12-12-11, 11:11 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim-544 View Post
thanks for that , could the award of the burma star and the 3 bars on his CSM Arabian peninsula/near east/mayala shed any light on his regiment ??
The named medals will have the Regiment on them! What letters are after the surname?

Andy
Old 12-12-11, 11:13 PM
lionel

i only have his mini sized medals as his full size medals were missing from the house :-(
Old 12-12-11, 11:17 PM
lionel

this is his wifes MBE and cert i got framed with a small wedding foto and his medals , they served in aden together as well

Attachment 54661

Last edited by lionel; 25-07-12 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-12-11, 11:30 PM

I wonder if the lady in uniform with her arm in a sling is Princess Mary the Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood (1897 - 1965). HRH was Colonel in Chief of the West Yorkshire Regiment from 1947.

Tim
Old 13-12-11, 12:08 AM

Definately looks like a Yorkshire Brigade cap badge.
From the Drum Major's facings he could be East Yorks, West Yorks, York & Lancs or Prince of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment.
Peter
Old 13-12-11, 06:40 PM

The facings of the Green Howards were green, the West Yorks Buff and the others white. It is difficult to distinguish Buff from white in photos however.

CB
Old 13-12-11, 07:13 PM

The Prince of Wales's Own were a Royal Regiment (as evidenced by their title) and thus wore Royal blue facings. I agree with CB that buff facings can be confused with white on old b&w photos but this is less difficult with modern images. Given all that has been said I feel that the York & Lancs are strong contenders for the photos shown and I concur with all that the badge is Yorkshire Brigade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3030337037_58b770fbf7.jpg (36.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg user727_pic17474_1266843011.jpg (53.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 13-12-11 at 07:36 PM.
Old 13-12-11, 10:30 PM

Been doing a bit more delving. Would the medal with the 3 clasps be a GSM rather than a CSM? Found the following ont` t`internet.

Malaya
From 1948, the Malayan People's Anti-British Army sought to force the British from Malaya and to introduce a communist government. It toke a total of 12 years to finally defeat the communist guerrilla forces. It was the novel tactics introduced by the British Director of Operations, Lieutenant-General Sir Harold Briggs followed by General Sir Gerald Templer, which was mainly responsible for defeating the insurgents. Also the British troops, a vast majority of whom were national servicemen, were prepared to take the insurgents on at their own game by spending long periods of time in the jungle.

The qualifying dates for service were between 16 June 1948 and 31 July 1960. For the Colony of Singapore, the date period was between 16 June 1948 to 31 January 1959.

Near East
This clasp was awarded for service in the Middle east in the period 31 October to 22 December 1956. This is the conflict often referred to as the Suez Crisis, or by its codename of Operation Musketeer.

British casualties in Operation Musketeer were 22 killed and 97 wounded.

The service entitlement for this clasp should not be confused with service during the Suez Canal Emergency 1951-54, for which a clasp was belated awarded some 50 years after the actual event.

Arabian Peninsula
Due to a disagreement about land and associated oil rights, the Iman of Oman rebelled against the Sultan of Muscat. After initial setbacks, in 1955 the Sultan called for assistance from UK forces. It was not until British special forces were deployed that the rebels were dislodged from their territory in the Jebel Akhbar mountains.
The qualifying period for this clasp is 30 days' service between 1 January 1957 and 30 June 1960, in the Aden Colony or protectorate and the Sultanates of Muscat and Oman, or any of the adjacent Gulf states.

The GSM shown is definately KC, very probably George VI meaning it was issued prior to 1952 so the Malaya clasp must have been issued for service between 1948 and 1952. The other two clasps post date this and would only have been issued with a QC GSM.

My military histories run out at the end of WWII but from the very condensed Leo Cooper publications it looks like the East & West Yorks are hot contenders for being tin these theatres of war to gain the clasps but the Y&L looks to be doubtful.

Hope this helps, Dave

Last edited by Deejayuu; 13-12-11 at 11:28 PM.
Old 13-12-11, 11:15 PM

I'm going with the Drum Major being Prince of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment.

Before amalgamation the West Yorks were in Malaya in 1953 and in Suez in 1956. After amalgamating with the East Yorks to become the P Wobblies they were in Aden from September 1958 to 1959/60. As such the 'Malaya' 'Near East' and 'Arabian Peninsula' clasps all fit the time frame.

Both the 1st & 2nd West Yorks (and the 1st East Yorks) served in Burma in WW2.

Whilst not wishing to disagree with Toby the West Yorks/PWO Yorks also wore buff facings.

Having trouble with the photo of the Band as we all tended to look very much alike in blues - could the collars be West Yorks ?

Peter4447
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PWO.jpg (38.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by peter4447; 14-12-11 at 12:01 AM.
Old 14-12-11, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter4447 View Post
I'm going with the Drum Major being Prince of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment.

Before amalgamation the West Yorks were in Malaya in 1953 and in Suez in 1956. After amalgamating with the East Yorks to become the P Wobblies they were in Aden from September 1958 to 1959/60. As such the 'Malaya' 'Near East' and 'Arabian Peninsula' clasps all fit the time frame.

Both the 1st & 2nd West Yorks (and the 1st East Yorks) served in Burma in WW2.

Whilst not wishing to disagree with Toby the West Yorks/PWO Yorks also wore buff facings.

Having trouble with the photo of the Band as we all tended to look very much alike in blues - could the collars be West Yorks ?

Peter4447
I've just double checked Peter and to my surprise found that the PWO West Yorks (and later Yorks) did not wear Royal facings but wore buff as mentioned previously in the thread. Mea culpa. That now throws it open to an ID via some of the medals hopefully.

I can't make out the collars other than that they do not appear to be Hanoverian horses.
Old 14-12-11, 09:59 PM
lionel

just found this photo among his wedding pictures !!Untitled.jpg
Old 14-12-11, 10:11 PM

Looks like these are banners have been 'home-made' by the East Yorkshires (15th Foot) to show they were not going to go quietly into the amalgamation with the 'senior' Regiment, the West Yorkshires (14th Foot)!

Peter4447