British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-05-17, 12:20 AM

Default 15th Bengal Native infantry button?

I was wondering if this was an early bengal native infantry button and if any other examples could be linked to see it in a non excavated state.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (53.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 16-05-17, 08:51 AM

Hello

I would say you are quite right, a very early button for the 15th Regiment Bengal Native Infantry, 2nd Battalion, 1798-1824 which became 31st Regiment in 1824.

Poulsom's book on Indian Army buttons does not illustrate or describe a button for the 15th Regiment at this time. However, he does describe a similar button for this period belonging to the 11th Bengal Native Infantry, 1st Battalion - "11 over 'NI' in turning script, over '1BN'. Wreath. No rim. Pewter". Apart from the different numbers an exact match for your button it would seem.

Given the early period I would think this is quite rare and you will be lucky to find a better example.

Roger
Old 16-05-17, 02:17 PM

Many thanks!. Just to show the back the button is silver plated copper alloy only 15mm diam. It was dug up in England most probably in Wiltshire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nib.jpg (73.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 16-05-17, 03:26 PM

Hello

If silver plated it is more than likely an officer's button which might explain how it found its way here to the UK.

Poulsom gives the uniform lace details for this Regiment as follows "1798 Silver, 1807 Gold, 1809 Silver, 1818 Gold". Silver lace usually means silver buttons to match (I'm sure there are exceptions to this though!) so you can narrow the date of your button down a bit, most likely before 1818 and possibly as early as 1798!

Interesting to see the back but I can't make out the backmark. Is it clear enough for you to read?

Roger
Old 16-05-17, 09:44 PM

Default Button features

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
Hello

I would say you are quite right, a very early button for the 15th Regiment Bengal Native Infantry, 2nd Battalion, 1798-1824 which became 31st Regiment in 1824.

Poulsom's book on Indian Army buttons does not illustrate or describe a button for the 15th Regiment at this time. However, he does describe a similar button for this period belonging to the 11th Bengal Native Infantry, 1st Battalion - "11 over 'NI' in turning script, over '1BN'. Wreath. No rim. Pewter". Apart from the different numbers an exact match for your button it would seem.

Given the early period I would think this is quite rare and you will be lucky to find a better example.
Roger
The Chapple catalog (p 205) lists a button for 31 BNLI (1856 -1861) and a BP for the 31 BNI (1824-1856)
No insignia in the collection for the 2nd/15th BNI (1798-1824).

Request expert advice please:
What is a " French Circle with a dot " finds mention in quite a few button
descriptions in the catalog eg for the 23rd (Pb) Regt BNI [Pioneers] (1864-1885)
page 392.
Does this 2nd/15th BNI button show a similar circle sign / insignia / device ?
Old 17-05-17, 12:28 AM

many thanks again for all the help i don't have the reference books or the knowledge you guys have. Ashok nath has also kindly contacted me to say he believes it also to be a pre 1824 2nd battalion 15th Bengal Native Infantry button. He also said early pre 1824 buttons do exist but they are rare. I'm thinking he probably means for the Bengal Native infantry as a whole rather than examples for the 15th 2nd battalion but i might be wrong on that. I'm going to have to look under a microscope at the back of the button. part seems to show SMITH but i can't find that maker in my meager button reference.
Old 17-05-17, 08:24 AM

Hello Pinfrin

Here is a typical Indian Army button displaying the 'French circle and dot' motif. Not the same as on the button in this thread.

Regards
Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1012157.jpg (69.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 17-05-17, 09:25 AM

Default Button assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
Hello Pinfrin

Here is a typical Indian Army button displaying the 'French circle and dot' motif. Not the same as on the button in this thread.

Regards
Roger
Many thanks for the help. ( Been looking for Bombay, Punjab Pioneers, PFF buttons. Some seem to have this motif eg the 23rd )
Old 17-05-17, 02:07 PM

Hello Pinfrin

Yes, the 'French circle and dot' motif is very common on Indian Army buttons but can also be found on some pre 1881 British Army buttons. Of course, it is also found on many early French army buttons (hence the 'French circle .....') and can cause some confusion when identifying buttons!

Roger