British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-06-16, 02:39 PM

Default Bengal 1901 - Great Photo

Hi Chaps,

I recently picked up this splendid turn of the century photograph, my motive was due to the great images of the Lee-Metford rifle of which there is a few featured in this photo. However there is also some really super details showing insignia too, so wanted to share it with forum members.

The photograph depicts 'Winning Team Inter-Regimental Sgts Silver Cup - Rifle Meeting - Bengal 1901'. All the chaps are named with some details.

If you would like a specific closer look at any insignia just let me know?

Cheerio,

Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copyright © 2016 Roy Shadbolt Collection.jpg (66.1 KB, 93 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com

Last edited by Roy; 23-06-16 at 03:45 PM.
Old 23-06-16, 05:27 PM

Hi Roy,

A great image thank you for posting it.

I presume it features members of the 3rd Bn Rifle Brigade who were in India until November 1904 before they moved regretfully to Aden.

I would be very interested in any further details and names please if you would be so kind.

Kind regards

Ry
Old 23-06-16, 05:31 PM

Thanks for that.

One of those images that really captured my interest, so very pleased to have it.

There appears to be no information regarding the unit, just states 'inter regiment' but I'm sure you are correct.

However here is a scan of the text written at the bottom, this is probably better than me re-writing it out.

If you want any more closer images, either of the photo or details, then just let me know.

Cheers, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan 2.jpg (10.8 KB, 32 views)

Old 23-06-16, 06:19 PM

Thanks Roy,

I'm pretty certain they are 3RB but I think the names were added at a later date given the comments.

I don't yet have the RB Chronicle for 1901, or 1900 which is a shame but I do have those years either side so I will consult them further to see If I can match any of the names. The Bn were based at Meerut in 1901 having been in India for ten years at least prior to the photo you show being taken, I will try to find out exactly when they arrived in country and let you know and I may be able to post further similar images, although most likely un-named.

I would be very grateful for a high res scan of the image via email please if you would once again be so kind and will pm you my email address if you are happy to do that.

Kind regards

Ry
Old 23-06-16, 06:35 PM

Thank you for that and yes happy to help.

Feel free to drop me an email.

For interest here is a close-up of on of the chaps showing headdress and cord boss.

Cheerio,

Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copyright © 2016 Roy Shadbolt Collection 2.jpg (48.6 KB, 26 views)

Old 23-06-16, 06:53 PM

Will do shortly Roy, thank you.

That is the officer is Captain King.

Ry
Old 23-06-16, 07:16 PM

Nice photo. It was interesting to see that the belts have "Snake Head" buckles especially as this was the subject of another thread earlier this week.

Andrew
Old 23-06-16, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by at57 View Post
Nice photo. It was interesting to see that the belts have "Snake Head" buckles especially as this was the subject of another thread earlier this week.

Andrew
Yes Andrew,

Worn I believe by the Regiment until 1914 and after that by the band and bugles.

Regards

Ry
Old 23-06-16, 07:36 PM

Hi Andrew,

Here is a close up of that detail for you.

Cheerio,

Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copyright © 2016 Roy Shadbolt Collection 2.jpg (36.0 KB, 21 views)

Old 24-06-16, 07:16 PM

I'm afraid that I haven't yet been able to establish where the 3rd Bn were prior to 1890 but can confirm that the 1901 RB Chronicle holds details of the events related to the image that you show Roy as there is mention of such in the 1902 edition.

I am able to confirm that the soldiers in the image were definitely members of the 3rd Bn though it seems that only two of them were long term members of the Bn. Remembering that at this time that movement between battalions was fairly fluid due to the demands of the Boer war which also had a detrimental bearing on the level of info submitted to the chronicle during the period with regard to the Bn.

Having received a Hi Res copy of the image from Roy to which I am very grateful I have picked up on something that I would like to study further. To this end is anyone able please to confirm the size of the buttons that are on the tunics/jackets that the Riflemen are wearing. I seem to remember that they were possibly approximately 22mm but have an example of that is 19mm so I'm not sure what size those in the image are.

In the mean time here is another image that might be of interest. It shows the members of the 4th Bn Young Soldiers Shooting team from 1899.

Regards to all.

Ry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 RB YST 1899.jpg (66.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Charlie 585; 24-06-16 at 10:08 PM.
Old 19-05-17, 06:20 PM

Hi Gents,

I thought I would update this old thread as I have found another photograph of what appears to be the same location and time - It looks to be the same sitters just in a different pose.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 12.18.52 PM.jpg (60.8 KB, 11 views)