British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-01-17, 11:52 PM

Default 1 CACR Cap Badge - Authentic?

I have had this badge for a while now and every time that I decided to sell it (yes, it will be for sale) I convince myself that it is a reproduction. I put it aside for a while and then convince myself that it is good. If my fellow forum members do not mind, please put me out of my misery and let me know if it is good or not. As I said, the aim is to sell it but I will not if it is a repro. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image (10).jpg (43.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Image (11).jpg (66.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Image (12).jpg (20.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Image (13).jpg (43.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 19-01-17, 07:50 AM

Curious. Why do you think, or what specifically about this badge makes you suspect it is a reproduction?
Old 19-01-17, 01:23 PM

I think that it is because there are so many repros on the market and when I compare it to photos of real badges it lacks the fine details or crispness. I have never handled a real one before (I collect CEF) and I realize that the wear could be because it was worn and polished but I would rather be safe than sorry as I don't want to be know as someone who is peddling fakes.
Old 19-01-17, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Default Try this thread...

Garry, This thread has the identifying characteristics of the authentic and repro badges. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...highlight=CACR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KangaroorealVsFake-1.jpg (52.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 19-01-17, 02:54 PM

I've compared it to that in the past and it seems to match up well with the real badge but, in my opinion, not perfectly. I guess nothing is ever perfectly matched after years of wear. I just have that bit of nagging doubt because of all the repros out there. Maybe the British side of the Forum has me sceptical of everything these days and maybe I should start accepting that things are real until proven otherwise vice the reverse.
Old 19-01-17, 03:39 PM

Hi Gary

Looks OK to me. Looks just like mine and the guide (and Bill) says that's a good one.

Bring it next Sat?

regards
Darrell
Old 19-01-17, 03:49 PM

Sure, I've had it this long I can wait a week to post it and maybe I can flog it locally first. I'd be more comfortable if someone actally had it in their hands and was comfortable with it when they bought/traded for it. I guess the proliferation of repros of this has me a little skittish.
Old 19-01-17, 04:41 PM

Gary,

It is not a reproduction. I'd be 100% happy to have that badge in the Archive collection, so have confidence in it. It has a little honest wear to the high spots, but still in good condition, and the lugs are intact.

If you have a price in mind, I'd be happy to advertise it on our association Facebook page for you.

However, after the record price CPmil (Command Post Militaria) in Victoria got on eBay yesterday for their brass cap badge, a whopping $750 US ($1000 Can).... you may be considering eBay.

BTW, I think the price received yesterday was an anomaly. Simply the result of two eager bidders, methinks. (Good for the seller) While this is a scarce badge, average prices are closer to $600 Can (that was approx. the price paid for one last September)

Bill.
Old 19-01-17, 05:05 PM

That was a dandy price for that badge. I put in a bid but it was already past my price. Cheers Brian
Old 19-01-17, 05:20 PM

Keep in mind these badges were first issued only a few months before the war ended and within a year, most of the men were discharged from the Army and discontinued wearing the badge. Condition of these badges ranges widely from near mint condition (common) to polished to mirror smooth.

To date the only die stamped reproduction of this badge is very easy to identify if you know what to look for. It is a completely different die.

Cast copies of the genuine badge exist in a wide variety. From what I can tell they are almost all 'one-off' copies and I've only seen a couple that could easily fool an experienced collector. That said, cast copies always have some tell-tale clues as to their true origin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Insignia Group.jpg (84.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg windsor beret badge.jpg (32.4 KB, 21 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1cacr identity 1.pdf (542.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 19-01-17, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the reassurance Bill. I'll take it to our local show first and, if no takers, decide what venue to use to sell it.