British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-05-17, 03:30 PM

Default Looking for ideas/opinions

Hello All

I thought I would just tap in to the wealth of knowledge on this forum and get a few ideas.

I am currently collecting anodised badges of the British Army for the year 1968. (Before you ask, that was the year I was born).

As most of you, if not all , would know that was period of transition from the Brigade system back to a Regimental system. Many regiments continued to wear the Brigade cap badge whilst waiting for their new insignia to be designed or authorised.

This brings me to the problem I have. Eventually I would like to mount these on a board. However I will have multiples of certain types of badge on the board (Such as three of the Welsh Brigade badge which was worn by the South Wales Borderers, Royal Welch Regiment and the Royal Welch Fusiliers)

I am, therefore, trying to work out to display the badges in a way that you would still be able to tell what regiment they are, even though they share a common cap badge. My display options so far are as follows

1. Just display the cap badges.
PRO. Everything will be uniform and neat on the display board.
CON. There will be multiples of certain badges and no way of telling what regiment they belong to

2. Displaying the appropriate collar badges with each of the cap badges
PRO. You can identify the regiments
CON. Extra expense in getting these badges.
They will not look uniform as I was not planning on buying collar badges for the immediately identifiable regiments such as the Guards, RGJ, Paras etc)

3. Buy the matching collar badges for every regiment/corps
PRO I am sure it would look very nice
CON. Again cost as it would take me into an area of collecting I really wasn't planning on getting into.

So anyway, I would be most grateful to hear of your ideas/opinions on this subject. You might have faced this problem yourself and worked out a good solution.

Many thanks for your advice

Ron
Old 27-05-17, 04:10 PM

Ron,
Having no knowledge myself of British anodized badges as worn c.1968, did these regiments wear unique shoulder titles or buttons? If so, then maybe just a s/t or large button displayed beneath each cap badge may do the trick!

Steven
Old 27-05-17, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
Ron,
Having no knowledge myself of British anodized badges as worn c.1968, did these regiments wear unique shoulder titles or buttons? If so, then maybe just a s/t or large button displayed beneath each cap badge may do the trick!

Steven
Unfortunately just as with the cap badges not all regiments had returned to, or had designed 'regimental' buttons. Likewise shoulder titles, and the practice of wearing these latter was not widespread.
The only way to be aesthetically pleasing and depict every regiment individually is to use collar badges. In the case of Foot Guards shoulder titles with paired badges.
Old 28-05-17, 04:34 AM

Thanks for your replies Milmed and Toby

I think you are right Toby, the collar dog method is going to have to be the way to go. Will now have to start researching them as well.

Many thanks once again
Old 28-05-17, 08:27 AM

If showing Brigade badges then the regimemts of the Fusilier Brigade all wore the same cap badge, collar badges and buttons although they wore regimental shoulder titles.
The buttons were of a crown, St George and dragon, laurel wreath design until the R Warks Fus joined the Brigade and their button design was adopted as the Brigade pattern.
Of course, a handy distinction to represent the four regiments would be to use hackles.
Use coloured backing patches to some of the Brigade badges where applicable?
Old 28-05-17, 01:38 PM

Hello Leigh

many thanks for your suggestions. In terms of the Fusilier Brigade, this had already been renamed as the RRF by this time so they are not a problem. The main ones are the ex regiments of the Lowland and Highland Brigades.

Still your suggestions have given me much food for thought, many thanks.
Old 28-05-17, 08:00 PM

Ok ,if you look at the Lowland Brigade, the Cameronians went in 1968 .Do you include them ?
The other 3 Regts are easy enough to find.
Highland Brigade is easy as well just the 4 Regts.

The Queens Regt started in 1966 as did the Royal Green Jackets. That's one set of insignia for both.
Old 28-05-17, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1A1 View Post
Hello Leigh

many thanks for your suggestions. In terms of the Fusilier Brigade, this had already been renamed as the RRF by this time so they are not a problem. The main ones are the ex regiments of the Lowland and Highland Brigades.

Still your suggestions have given me much food for thought, many thanks.
The Lancashire Fusiliers did not give up their hackle for the RRF one until 23rd April 1968, it may also of been the same for the other Fusilier Bn's
Paul
Old 29-05-17, 05:01 AM

Hi Mike

No I am not including the Cameronians. They were disbanded in May 1968 (If I remember correctly), My collection will cover the British Army as it was in September 1968, which was when I was born.

Many thanks for your input

regards
Ron
Old 29-05-17, 05:03 AM

Hi Claire's Collectables

Thanks for your answer. I have seriously thought about this approach, however I am sure I read somewhere on this Forum that small tags under the badge sort of spoilt the look of the collection when displayed on the board.

Anyway, I think this might be the way to go, will just have to do some research as in what will look good

many thanks for your input

Ron
Old 29-05-17, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
The Lancashire Fusiliers did not give up their hackle for the RRF one until 23rd April 1968, it may also of been the same for the other Fusilier Bn's
Paul
Hi Paul

Thanks for your input. I actually did not know that about the Lancashire Fusiliers. I will have a look into that

Many thanks
Old 29-05-17, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
Paul
The new regiment, RRF, was formed on 23/4/68, all four regular battalions wearing the red over white hackle from that date, I don't know if the "old" hackles lingered on with the TA though.