British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-10-11, 11:07 AM

Default This mornings buys good or dud? help please

Hi Guys
Picked up these 2 badges this morning and I think they look ok to me but would welcome any opinions or advice. Is it worth having the Irish Dragoons repaired as it appears to have had a slider originally but has been broached and then that has been broken. Also when would these badges date to?

Thanks

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IRISH.jpg (47.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IRISH 1.jpg (48.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg WARKS.jpg (27.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg WARKS 1.jpg (28.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg WARKS 2.jpg (30.1 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by biffrocks; 15-10-11 at 12:22 PM.
Old 15-10-11, 03:21 PM

Being pedantic and in no way taking from your badges but 'broached' is to hole or otherwise break as in 'the rum keg was broached to give the crew their ration' but something that has been made into a brooch has been 'brooched'!
Yours Smugly Terry
Old 15-10-11, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampwick View Post
Being pedantic and in no way taking from your badges but 'broached' is to hole or otherwise break as in 'the rum keg was broached to give the crew their ration' but something that has been made into a brooch has been 'brooched'!
Yours Smugly Terry
Hi Terry
I think I was still asleep this morning when I typed the thread as well as spelling mistake I also put repairs instread of buys. What do you think of the badges are they ok and is the Irish worth a repair.

Cheers

Rob
Old 15-10-11, 04:25 PM

Rob,
I think your 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards badge looks good and would look better with a new lug and it's ding straightened out.
Eddie
Old 15-10-11, 05:16 PM

Rob I like the 4th RIDG and a new slider wouldn't go amiss IMO.
Cheers Tony.
Old 15-10-11, 05:27 PM

Hi Eddie and Tony
Glad yoiu both think the Dragoons is a good one and will definately go in the pile for a trip to Tamworth for Daves magic.
What do you think about the Warks, is the named slider ok, the badge seemed to me to have genuine wear on the front.
Would welcome any opinions.

Cheers

Rob
Old 15-10-11, 05:59 PM

Hi Tony,
Due an eye test next week:
Eddie
Old 15-10-11, 07:11 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Rob,

I can't decide if the scroll is gilt ? if it is, it won't be if I replace the slider ?

If it is just a nice patina, then it's a case of being your choice ? I can bring some of that look back.

It might however, be one of those cases where it's probably better left as it is ?

All the best.

Dave.
Old 16-10-11, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hi Rob,

I can't decide if the scroll is gilt ? if it is, it won't be if I replace the slider ?

If it is just a nice patina, then it's a case of being your choice ? I can bring some of that look back.

It might however, be one of those cases where it's probably better left as it is ?

All the best.

Dave.
Hi Dave
Hope things are good with you and yours. I am not sure about the finish myself but if it's ok with you I am hoping to put together a few badges that I have for repair and get them to you to work your magic. I am happy to send this badge and then you can let me know wht you think with regards to the finish and whether to repair or not as I always appreciate your advice.

Rob
Old 17-10-11, 07:23 PM

Hi Guys
Just thought I'd ask again if the Warks Yeomanry is a good one, I thought the named slider was ok on it but would like to know for definate and am happy if I've got it wrong and would just like to know.

Hope someone can help me.

Cheers

Rob
Old 17-10-11, 07:29 PM

Hi Rob,

Having just looked at the Tiptaft mark in the ' makers marks ' section, I would have to say yes, yours appear to be OK............. I suppose now I'm going to be wrong again ??

Dave.
Old 17-10-11, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Hi Rob,

Having just looked at the Tiptaft mark in the ' makers marks ' section, I would have to say yes, yours appear to be OK............. I suppose now I'm going to be wrong again ??

Dave.
Hi Dave
Thanks for posting, I'd looked at the marks on the forum but one look and I thought my badge was ok then another look and I wasn't sure. That whats so great about this forum having guys like yourself to ask an opinion of and I am always happy to read what people put as they are a lot more knowledgable than myself.

Rob
Old 17-10-11, 07:41 PM

I am always happy to read what people put as they are a lot more knowledgable than myself. Rob.

You ' jest ' kind Sir.......
Old 17-10-11, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I am always happy to read what people put as they are a lot more knowledgable than myself. Rob.

You ' jest ' kind Sir.......
Hi Dave
No I mean it, you have got to handle a lot more badges than me and I always value your opinion and hard work on the repairs you have very kIndly done for me. I am hoping to be able to send you some for repair when I get paid at the end of the month if that is ok with you.

Best wishes

Rob