British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-09-13, 07:54 PM

Default One mans meat !

I had some good buys today but on reflection this is the one that I am most pleased with and it cost me £3.

It is a Kings Liverpool Regiment badge which has seen some action. The rear legs have been snapped and repaired with a small metal plate. The front legs have been connected to the scroll with another metal plate to stiffen the badge. The tale must have broken off at one time but again this has been replaced and is held into position with yet another small metal plate. The slider has apparently been clipped short and there are small indentations either side of the bottom of the slider presumably to fix something to hold the badge in place.

Not the nicest Kings badge but what character it has.

Has anyone anything similar in their collections that have had a hard life but are still full of character ?

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1217.jpg (67.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1218.jpg (71.7 KB, 88 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 15-09-13, 08:35 PM

Pattern 4362A/1896, originally made sometime between 1906 and about 1915, almost certainly by Firmin.
Yes, a piece full of history and on that has certainly been through the war(s) ! It looks as though the scroll has been reattached to the ground with very small rectangular patches over the 'tabs' !?
Old 15-09-13, 08:47 PM

Peter,
if only it could talk!
Tony.
Old 15-09-13, 08:58 PM

Tony,

Your right, what tales it might tell, I imagine the repairs were made in circumstances were it was not possible to get a replacement immediately as it would have been far easier just to get a new badge.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 16-09-13, 07:23 AM

Default Kings Liverpool

Peter
I also have a similar badge with the two hind legs broken. It was given to me by my father more than 70 years ago, along the way I must have broken the legs and he repaired the badge by soldering a piece of wire along each of the broken legs. In later years when I started collecting seriously I replaced it, but recently have re-added it to the collection. It has a wider ground than my other versions of this badge and with a bit of a hump rising towards the hind legs, more so than yours. Sorry I can not post a photo.
Peter
Old 16-09-13, 07:41 AM

Peter,
At least no one can say my badge and yours are duds.

Peter

Old 16-09-13, 09:17 AM

Peter,
Here's a Cheshire badge that also has a storey to tell.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=16558
Cheers Tony.
Old 16-09-13, 12:12 PM

Default DCLI emergency repair

I came across this little bit of ingenuity quite a while ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4285.jpg (26.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 16-09-13, 01:15 PM

Tony, I knew I'd posted re Edwardian Cheshires...couldn't find it on this thread so I've done it again!
My favourit old Bays arm badge, also got a Bays broze with broken blades that's had a 'workshop' repair with a slider fitted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1801.jpg (63.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1802.jpg (97.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1803A.jpg (19.4 KB, 12 views)