British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-11-17, 01:08 AM

Well done, Brent, for showing the correct photo to match the names in the "Chronicles" magazine.
Cheers, John
Old 04-11-17, 10:31 PM

John its amazing to think this all happened exactly 100 years ago, I can almost hear the sound of the bag pipes.
Brent
Old 25-12-18, 12:02 PM

There were a number of army pipes & drums in the NZEF during WW1.

Included were the pipe bands of the 1st New Zealand Expeditionary Force, that of the 14th 'reinforcements', the Auckland Regiment, Canterbury Regiment and the Otago Regiment.

There were also 'military' pipes & drums in New Zealand prior to WW1 including those of the Watanganui Highland Rifles, the Thames Scottish Volunteers, the Dunedin Highland Rifle Volunteers and the Canterbury Scottish Rifle Volunteers. On top of that, the Naval Brigade also had a pipe band of its own.

One of the Pipe-Majors of the Otago Regiment did not return in WW1 having been killed-in-action in 1916, namely PTE 8/2619 Neil MacDonald.

Last edited by HKPiper; 25-12-18 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-07-19, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Hi Tinto,
I too would be interested in knowing what badges are being worn, however, I doubt they are wearing Caledonian Pipe Band badges.

Interestingly during the 1911 to 1920 period there were several New Zealand military pipe bands including one aboard HMS New Zealand.

The NZEF Main Body Pipe band photo below was taken in September 1914. The instruments and equipment for the band was presented by the three Scottish societies of Dunedin—the Caledonian Society, Gaelic Society, Burns Club. The uniforms they are wearing are standard NZ Territorial uniforms.

I also have photos of the NZEF Pipe Band taken in 1917 and 1918, again they are wearing standard territorial uniforms but with lemon squeezer hats.
Your two photos appear to have been taken in 1919, and show proper full Scottish uniforms including tunics and glengarry are being worm.
Do you have more information about the Pipe Band of HMS New Zealand? When did that exist? I would also be interested in the name of the Pipe Major(s).
Aad
Old 09-07-19, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboode View Post
Do you have more information about the Pipe Band of HMS New Zealand? When did that exist? I would also be interested in the name of the Pipe Major(s).
Aad
HMS New Zealand had two bands on board, one brass band and one pipe band.
As far as I am aware, the brass band was formed in 1913, and I'm guessing the pipe band was formed during the war, but was most definitely in existence after the war.
Regardless, it seems H.M.S. New Zealand was the fourth ship of the Royal Navy to establish a pipe band on board.

The Bandmaster on H.M.S. New Zealand was Arthur Pragnell (Royal Marines), but Stoker Petty Officer Alexander McNeice may have been in charge of the Pipe band.

Both ships bands led the procession to the Christchurch Cathedral where the ships battle flag was laid up in 1919.
The ensign pole of H.M.S. New Zealand was struck by a German shell during the battle of Jutland on 31st May 1916.
Old 09-07-19, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
HMS New Zealand had two bands on board, one brass band and one pipe band.
As far as I am aware, the brass band was formed in 1913, and I'm guessing the pipe band was formed during the war, but was most definitely in existence after the war.
Regardless, it seems H.M.S. New Zealand was the fourth ship of the Royal Navy to establish a pipe band on board.

The Bandmaster on H.M.S. New Zealand was Arthur Pragnell (Royal Marines), but Stoker Petty Officer Alexander McNeice may have been in charge of the Pipe band.

Both ships bands led the procession to the Christchurch Cathedral where the ships battle flag was laid up in 1919.
The ensign pole of H.M.S. New Zealand was struck by a German shell during the battle of Jutland on 31st May 1916.
Do you know which other ships had a Pipe Band?
Aad
Old 09-07-19, 06:11 PM

This lot appear to be Main Body(or early reinforcements) Pipers and drummers. All four companies of the Otago Regiment are represented.
4th Otago*, 8th Southland, 10th North Otago and 14th South Otago.

* Pre Jan/Feb 1916 badges.

ribbon.Soldier on left (as viewed) has a QSA South Africa medal ribbon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnstone_card_11_viso__1562696374_65209.jpg (74.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Johnstone card 11 versa.jpg (47.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by pukman; 09-07-19 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-07-19, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboode View Post
Do you know which other ships had a Pipe Band?
Aad
Sorry I do not know which other Royal Navy ships had pipe bands.