British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-12, 11:10 PM

Default Good evening from Germany

Hi, my Name is Jon, I´m living in Northern-Germany and in my short spare time I´m interested in Military History mainly of the First and Second World War, occasionally in addition I gladly read the one or other book concerning the Napoleonic Wars, especially the battle of Belle Alliance/Waterloo.

Unfortunately are to me due to my not sufficient English knowledge so far in most cases only German literature and pour at the disposal (for example for this short sentence I already need the help of altavista )

Since the year 2004 I provide a family tree for my family and try to clarify the fates of five Members of my Family, which were announced as soldiers of German Wehrmacht in the Second World War as missing in action and from those to today their whereabouts and possible grave-place are not know to my family.

First I would like to apologize already once for my many spelling mistakes and also for it which I forget often while writing the text in English language before loud concentration on the text mostly the politeness forms forget, which are right themselves.

Thank you, Jon
Old 21-01-12, 09:28 AM

Hello Jon,

Welcome to the Forum.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 21-01-12, 04:20 PM

Hello Jon and welcome. Many members are from countries where English is not their first language. Well done on your first post! Regards, Paul.
Old 15-02-12, 07:01 PM

Default Welcome

Hallo Jon
Wlecome to the forum
I am sure if I tried to join a German forum I could not post as well as you have done.
Do not be afraid to ask questions on here, I am still learning and making less mistakes now because of the help from forum members
Ray
Old 15-02-12, 07:34 PM
peter616

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the Forum

peter
Old 15-02-12, 08:11 PM

Hello Jon. Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed reading your post, and nothing wrong with your English, which puts me to shame as when I worked in Hamburg for a while in the 1960's my knowledge of the German language never got much beyond being able to order a beer, and very fine beer it was too so perhaps I figured that was all I needed to know, and I'm sorry about that now.

Looking forward to your future postings.

Regards,

johnG
Old 16-02-12, 03:47 AM

Willkommen zum Forum Jon

Es ist gut, ein neues Mitglied aus Deutschland, Sie zu sehen genießt die Firma von allen an hier

Das Grosse Ken (FBK)

Ah !! Das Ausland ist Gut

Welcome to the Forum Jon

It is good to see someone from Germany, you will enjoy all the guys on here.

The Big Ken (Can't spell FATBOY)

Oh !! Your English is good

Last edited by Fatboy Ken; 16-02-12 at 03:53 AM. Reason: last sentence
Old 01-03-12, 10:47 PM

Viel Spass (much fun!)

Es ist sehr gut einer Deutscher hier zu sehen, die meisten wollen nichts vom Krieg wissen. Ich wohnte fur ein bisschen mit einer Familie in Deutschland und sie hatten einen Foto von "Opa" im Haus. Er war im Uniform und Ich fragte was mit Ihm passiert - leider sagten sie dass er am Ostfront gestorben war. Das Foto war das einzige was sie noch hatten. Vati hatte fast ein Bein verlohren, nach dem Krieg, von eine Stielhandgranate die er im Wald gefunden hatte. Die Familie konnte nicht verstehen warum Ich Dingen vom Soldaten sammelten.

(It's good to see a German on here as most are not interested in anything from the war. I lived with a family in Germany for a while and they had a photo of Grandad in the house. He was in uniform and I asked what happened - unfortunately they said he had been killed on the eastern front. They only had that photo of him. The father had almost lost a leg post war when he had played with a stick grenade he found in the woods. The family could not understand why I collected things from soldiers)

Vielleicht konnte Ich mein Deutsch ueben oder vielleicht wollen sie ein Dolmetscher? (Perhaps I could practice my German or help with translation?)

Ian Harrison
Old 02-03-12, 02:05 PM

Hi Jon & welcome,

I lived for 4 years in Germany as a kid and loved it.
Don't worry about your English particularly the politeness, (correctness,) everyone understands what you are saying and no-one will take offence.
I could translate Ian H's German easily but after so long, I couldn't write a sentence in German now.

Enjoy the forum and don't be embarrassed about your English, you can speak better English than most of us can speak German.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Iain
Old 06-03-12, 08:33 PM

Hallo Jon,
Wilkommen zum Forum.

grüße von Pieter
(Niederländer aber seit 13 Jahre in Deutschland)