British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Colonial Police and Paramilitary Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-03-16, 03:46 PM

Default Venezia Giulia Police Force insignia

Good afternoon

Does anyone have any examples of the cap badge worn by the Venezia Giulia Police Force, formed by the Allied Military Government after WWII to police Zone A of the territory at that time disputed by Italy and Yugoslavia (now divided between Italy and Slovenia)?

I recall seeing a 'set' of 4 badges in a collection of police memorabilia that came up for auction back in the mid-1990s. The design was a disc bearing the leaping gazelle of the British 13 Corps, one was silver wire embroidered on a blue cloth ground, another had a blue enamel ground whilst a third was fretted from white metal - I can't remember what the fourth was. I've occasionally thought about them over the years - sometimes regretted not trying for them but as my interests have changed a few times I'd have doubtless swapped or sold them along the way.

Anyway, enough rabbit from me, I'd be interested to see if anyone has examples of these, or any other memorabilia connected to the VGPF.

All the best

Graham

Addenda: the bullion and enamel versions appear on page 94 of "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Military Insignia of the 20th Century" by Guido Rosignoli (see attached).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29Mar2016a 003b.jpg (41.6 KB, 42 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.

Last edited by Chacal; 29-03-16 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Additional information plus illustration.
Old 29-03-16, 04:12 PM

Extract from "Chain Mail - The History of the DLOY 1798-1991"
On 7 May 45, shortly after VI Day (as Eighth Army called it) the Regiment moved from the Padua area to Trieste – at that time disputed between the Italians and Marshal Tito’s partisans. Although tense there was no serious violence and the Regiment initially carried armed patrols on Trieste’s streets and guards on shipping and warehouses in the docks. Lt Gen Harding, Commander XIII Corps was responsible for the security of the whole Trieste area and he directed that a mounted police unit be formed to assist in maintaining law and order. Since 78 (DLOY) Med Regt RA (TA) had started the war as horsed cavalry and many of the older members of the Regiment were experienced horsemen they were selected for the role. Horses were not a problem since the Wehrmacht had been using vast numbers for transport purposes and these had been handed over the British after the surrender. Forty horses were co-opted for this role and forty ex-horsemen selected under the command of the RSM, WO1 Harry Miller. He was not only a fine horseman, but had a great natural personality and had even taught himself Italian.
By January 1946, 78 (DLOY) Med Regt RA (TA) had been retitled 78 Regiment (DLOY) (Auxiliary Police).
The Cheshire Yeomanry proudly boasted that they were the last British soldiers to fight on horseback. This is true, but the DLOY members of the Venzia Giulia Polizia, although they never had to fight, could equally well claim that they were the last to serve mounted overseas.
Old 29-03-16, 04:50 PM

Thank you Mike, more grist to the mill and much appreciated.

All the best

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 29-03-16, 05:59 PM

Here's the well-badged RSM at work - I cannot decipher the rider's shoulder title. Mike
Yeo.DLOY 78 Med Regt Austria.jpg6 AGRA DLOY 78 Med Regt Austria.jpg
Old 29-03-16, 06:31 PM

Thanks again Mike, I believe it to say "V G" "Police" as per the gentleman in the 'Life' photo in section 3: https://carsica.wordpress.com/2013/0...o-e-karl-marx/

All the best

Graham
Old 30-05-17, 04:24 PM

Thought I'd revive an old thread with this image of the VG Police shoulder title. Although somewhat well-worn with some wire edging missing, it is identical to that worn in the Life photo.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VG Police Rob.jpg (58.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 30-05-17, 04:38 PM

Jon,
That's outstanding. Mike
Old 30-05-17, 05:05 PM

Thank you Jon, very nice.

I still regret not bidding for the set of cap badges I saw many moons ago. Ho hum.

Graham