British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-04-17, 07:58 PM

Default ACF Cadet Battalion Numbers

Can anyone confirm please when Battalion Numbers were introduced into the ACF. I am assuming late WW2 and Home Guard type printed numbers were used. Also were they printed in blue or blank ink like the shoulder titles.
Old 17-04-17, 09:25 PM

Hi

Norfolk ACF 1950's Yellow felt arc with Black embroidered NORFOLK and Smaller arc worn underneath same colours with A.C.F. under the titles was worn A khaki rectangle with a printed dark blue number 2.

Arthur
Old 17-04-17, 09:47 PM

Default ACF Bn numbers

I believe the date depends upon when a County organised their ACF into battalions. Some had lots of independent companies loosely affiliated to local Home Guard. As there were no national rules, other than the 'CADET FORCE' titles, this question is almost impossible to answer as it was down to the local TAA NOT the ACFA to decide. Bedfordshire, for instance, wore Home Guard style numerals in two battalions, but none in another. Essex seem to have swapped between companies, battalions, independent companies and regiments.

The answer is to scour photos and spend many hours on original research.

Stephen.

Last edited by badjez; 17-04-17 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 18-04-17, 07:44 AM

In Wiltshire as I assume in most Counties the battalion numbers followed that of the local Home Guard. I was just wondering if the issue of these was actually specified in any ACI.
Old 18-04-17, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Hi

Norfolk ACF 1950's Yellow felt arc with Black embroidered NORFOLK and Smaller arc worn underneath same colours with A.C.F. under the titles was worn A khaki rectangle with a printed dark blue number 2.

Arthur
would love a picture if you have got one
Old 18-04-17, 08:53 AM

Default ACF Bn numbers

So far as I'm aware there are no ACI relating to this subject, nor is it covered in Cadet Regs. However, I have found the following info which I had forgotten when I initially replied. I think it might provide the answer you are after.

Stephen.

23.11.43. Letter sent from War Office (HG3) to all County Cadet Committees giving approval for officers and cadets to wear additional distinguishing marks upon the upper part of both BD sleeves.
a) County or Regimental flashes.
This will be a patch of cloth of reasonable dimensions consisting of a combination of colours or bearing a heraldic device associated with the county or regiment. It will be worn ½” below the centre of the bottom edge of the ‘CADET FORCE’ shoulder title. Before flashes are provided two specimens will be forwarded to the WO (HG3) for approval.
b) Battalion numerals.
A numeral identical with the numerals worn by HG (CB 1801-93) will be worn to denote the Battalion number, or, where Battalions cannot be formed, their Company number. . It will be worn ½” below the centre of the bottom edge of the County or Regimental flash.
c) The slip-on shoulder title (embroidered) will remain an authorised item of issue, and will continue to be worn on the BD shoulder strap.
d) Arrangements had been made to replace the printed title ‘CADET FORCE’ with the title ‘ARMY CADET FORCE’.
e) No other titles are authorised.
Old 18-04-17, 09:14 AM

Good morning

Sorry my man I don't have a photograph of them and I got rid of the actual cloth titles years ago.

Back in the early 60's in Colchester I saw some Norfolk A.C.F. cadets and they had a dark blue number 3. I queried them from where they came from? I got told that they had come from the Diss-Thetford area. I wondered if Norwich was number 1!

Regards
Arthur
Old 18-04-17, 10:13 AM

I cannot recall where the attached picture came from but I saved it because you dont often see pictures of the Cadet battalion numbers on uniforms.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 858494465_tp.jpg (25.7 KB, 24 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 18-04-17, 10:53 AM

Peter,

From what I recall the khaki rectangle and numeral are the same size and colour as the Norfolk one that I wore.

Regards
Arthur
Old 18-04-17, 11:04 AM

Hi,

I always thought that these numerals corresponded with those used by the old Rifle Volunteer Corps. I would be interested to know your thoughts.

Regards
Arthur
Old 18-04-17, 11:18 AM

A picture from Wiltshire ACF (1950's).

Wiltshire had the following Battalions, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 9th and the 11th. In those days Counties described themselves as numbered cadet battalion's of their County Regiments. This is not seen as PC now and locally to me only Somerset describe themselves as a cadet battalion of the Rifles.

Wiltshire changed to Companies in 1960 when I understand that the ACF was streamlined. Obviously by this time the number of detachments would also have been much smaller.

There is also a black on green woven Cadet Force Title as well as the printed one which survive in large numbers. Quite when these were introduced if official I do not know. White on Red Titles were introduced in 1951 and the current ACF ones in 1955.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W ACF.jpg (48.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 23-04-17, 02:46 AM

Default Essex ACF

6th Essex Yeomanry Cadet Regiment formed 1949, retitled 1958. Not sure when reduced back to individual companies.

This title on a BD dated 1955, probably introduced prior to that but haven't been able to pin down a specific date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6Bn Essex ACF.jpg (7.8 KB, 6 views)