British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-04-17, 01:33 AM

Default C.M.G.C badges worn w/Battalion badges?

Hi all.I would appreciate any help with this.Did soldiers who were part of their Battalion's machine gun crew wear C.M.G.C titles along with their Btn badges?If so,in what combination?I recently found that my Great Uncle Roddy who was with the 78th Winnipeg Grenadiers was part of their M.G crew.He was killed at Vimy & as a tribute I'm collecting all cap,collar,shoulder & sweethearts of the battalions he was a part of & want to know if I have to now add C.M.G.C badges as well. Thanks.Shane P.S For anyone who may be interested,more about Roddy here: https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...&GRid=56674183

Last edited by shane bannatyne; 21-04-17 at 01:40 AM. Reason: aaaaaaaaa
Old 21-04-17, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Shane, The battalion machine gunners (Lewis gunners) wore the battalion cap badge and may have had a skill at arms badge on the sleeve. (LG) Each infantry battalion had at the end of the war 32 Lewis guns.
The Canadian Corps also had dedicated maching gun units, first companies and later battalions equiped with the Vickers MG and Lewis MG.
To answer your question it appears your great uncle was a battalion machine gunner in the 78th and would have worn the 78th Bn badges.
Additionally, in the link your uncle wears the cap badges of the 90th Bn (Royal Winnipeg Rifles) and the 90th collar badges CEF.
Old 21-04-17, 11:41 AM

Hello Shane,Isuppose you already knew this.
Jo
His enlistment number was, 186514
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/fra/decouvr...2f224893a.gif&

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 28-04-17, 02:28 AM

Thanks Jo.I did already know that,but none the less thanks for your help with this. Cheers Shane
Old 26-04-17, 02:53 AM

Hi Bill thanks for your reply & your expertise.My apologies for how late my response has taken.Serious family health matters took over the last week.Still,I should have sent a quick thank you.Once again my apologies.
Old 26-04-17, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

You are welcome Shane. You will need to analyze his service records to see what units he served with.
Old 28-04-17, 02:51 AM

Hi Bill,thanks again.Roddy enlisted with the 90th Winnipeg Rifles & moved to the 11th reserve battalion a month after arriving in England.A month later he was transferred to the 78th Winnipeg Grenadiers which he was with for the rest of his service until his death at Vimy. I now know from what you've told me he would have worn a trade badge for either a machine gunner or Lewis gunner,but that's my new question,which one? There might be a clue in his letter home telling of his new role as a member of his platoon's M.G section.In it he tells of how much less he has to carry now that he's gunner.The letter is somewhat messy & faded but there is a word that initially looked to me like 'bandolier' "I carry a(?????)instead of a rifle and bayonet".A bandolier might suggest a regular Vickers instead of magazines used with a Lewis gun.Perhaps someone more familiar with M.G jargon can tell me what the word is & if it gives clue as to what specific gun he was using.I'm including the whole letter,but the section I've been referring to is on page 3. Again,any help would much appreciated. Cheers Shane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roddy Dec 15-1916 Machine Gun 1c.jpg (47.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Roddy Dec 15-1916 Machine Gun 1b.jpg (47.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Roddy Dec 15-1916 Machine Gun 1A.jpg (45.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by shane bannatyne; 28-04-17 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Edited attachments
Old 28-04-17, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Shane, I believe the word is revolver.
The Vickers was not an infantry battalion weapon, while the Lewis gun was.