British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-10-23, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwash View Post
Who'd be a collector. The term " large basket " is a misnomer. Baskets were utilised with barrage balloons.
Also known as 'The device at the end of the rigging lines'...
Old 27-10-23, 10:16 AM

or according to the Air Ministry Parachute Training Manual, cage.
Old 27-10-23, 01:05 PM

Hi all could this be a good one for Normandy period as described by Tcrown as detached feathers ?
It doesn't look very detached to me.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW2 wing edit.jpg (52.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg WW2 wing edit back.jpg (51.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 27-10-23, 01:16 PM

good to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arnhem.jpg (35.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 27-10-23, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwash View Post
good to go.
Thanks Silverwash.
To me it is another variant of wings I already saw but don't know much about it:
flat parachute, straight rigging lines, feathers a tiny bit more detached to the usual but clearly not as much as the Tcrown exemple, a cut halfway to the feathers on both side, and the bottom ending of the feathers not rounded, the basket is clearly not as thin as the small ones.

It looks the same pattern as in this lot (except the factory trim and the 5 separation in the parachute web).
Can you tell me more about it ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg para wings trimed in factory Jan 1945 b.jpg (34.2 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by elwe23; 27-10-23 at 04:27 PM.
Old 28-10-23, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwe23 View Post
I attached a bunch of IWM photos all from 1941-1944 (pre D-Day). A few early ones during training, and others before the invasion. Let me all the types you are seeing.
It is simply impossible to identify the various wing types from the photos you have posted. I’m not even sure better resolution would help for that matter. One can only guess that in the photos taken in 1941 (one at the top with Lt Col Jackson, and three at the bottom with members of the 11th SAS wearing gabardine jump jackets), the wings worn were likely the detached feathers type as per the pattern officially approved earlier that year (see https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...48&postcount=1)
Old 28-10-23, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwe23 View Post
Thanks Silverwash.
To me it is another variant of wings I already saw but don't know much about it:
flat parachute, straight rigging lines, feathers a tiny bit more detached to the usual but clearly not as much as the Tcrown exemple, a cut halfway to the feathers on both side, and the bottom ending of the feathers not rounded, the basket is clearly not as thin as the small ones.
I would agree with this. it looks like another variant although I don’t think this example has been factory trimmed like the one in the bundle (see https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...22&postcount=5)
See below your photos with the early type of wings for an easier comparison
Later Detached Feathers Wings.jpgEarly Detached Feathers Wings.jpg
Old 28-10-23, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
I would agree with this. it looks like another variant although I don’t think this example has been factory trimmed like the one in the bundle (see https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...22&postcount=5)
See below your photos with the early type of wings for an easier comparison
Attachment 291371Attachment 291372
Thanks for your feedback Tcrown. That's what I thought. I already compared every details but it is much clearer like this.
It doesn't mean this variant couldn't be good for the period. As you said it's very difficult with these photos to conclude anything it is most often guessing.
I agree with some where we can clearly see the detached feathers (usually portrait or close up), but comparing small variations without a zoom/HD is vain.

Here are some good ones :
- Geoffrey Copson, 7th battalion Light infantry Parachute Regiment,KIA on D-Day. Detached feathers type most probably.
- Royal Artillery airborne Officer pre D-Day, detached feathers type most probably.
- A corporal in July 1943, looks more like the zig-zag rigging lines type.
- a rare colour photo 1944 where we can even see the sewing thread of the patch (HD version https://postimg.cc/gallery/TYQMV44)
- a zoom of this photo, with the two different variants that look nearly similar, but I can conclude it is more likely the one on the top right (Tcrown one) with detached feathers again.
- at Pegasus Museum of a good detached feathers type worn on a BD and trimmed.
- but this is where it get tricky: left detached feathers pattern, right pegasus museum BD bottom right the pattern I posted, and it looks closer to this last one (cf no separation on the parachute web)

Last edited by elwe23; 28-10-23 at 03:53 PM.
Old 28-10-23, 11:59 PM

I honestly don’t think we can conclude on the photos of the period you posted. I wouldn’t dwell too much on the differences you have identified on your last photo. I see a similar pattern consistent with regulations. Canopies on WW2 wings are usually well detailed (except on the ‘cloud type’). This is not the case on the two wings on the right-hand side, I assume attributable to a different making process.
Old 29-10-23, 11:11 AM

interesting to note the 1943 AIRBORNE corporal with GQ brooch.
Old 02-11-23, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
I honestly don’t think we can conclude on the photos of the period you posted. I wouldn’t dwell too much on the differences you have identified on your last photo. I see a similar pattern consistent with regulations. Canopies on WW2 wings are usually well detailed (except on the ‘cloud type’). This is not the case on the two wings on the right-hand side, I assume attributable to a different making process.
@Thanks Pierre.
Yes I agree the canopy on the right hand side is different. Less detailed and no clear separation mark in between part.
Would be good to know if this variant is validated for mid ww2 ?

@Silverwash: indeed and a nice curved embroidered early airborne title.
Old 09-11-23, 11:02 PM

Another one photos to add to the list is at Amfréville quarry medal ceremony.
Commando this time but looks like the cloud canopy version isn't it ?

same pattern as this one:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...6&d=1608085180
Attached Images
File Type: jpg commando amfreville half moon.jpg (42.8 KB, 19 views)