British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-01-12, 12:48 PM

Default 23rd Royal Wech Fusiliers

Hi Guys,
Got this one in the suspects box. It's a 4 inch tall grenade badge to the Royal Welch Fusiliers. Dunno what this badge is or if its genuine or not.
It has had a repair or possibly strengthening with gold braize around the neck area of the grenade.
Your thoughts on this badge are appreciated
Regards
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0257.jpg (25.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0258.jpg (27.8 KB, 101 views)
Old 15-01-12, 06:15 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Colin,

I can't see too clearly but it looks to my tired old eyes as though the neck of the Grenade has been snapped off, or at least weakened and repaired ??

I have seen ( and have done so myself ), repairs with a small strip of brass sheet used as a strengthener, on your badge it looks like just ' braze ' was used.

The badge itself, at 4" in height, is a ' big un ' and I would wait for the Welsh experts to have their say ??

Dave.
Old 15-01-12, 09:39 PM

That's a new one on me. I would go with it being right but I don't know from when although I suspect early. Possibly an Officer's glengarry.
Any sign of it having been gilded at one time.
Old 15-01-12, 10:04 PM

Default Royal Welch Fusiliers grenade

Hi Dave and 41st,

Many thanks for your replies to my question. Dave you are correct the badge appears to have been strengthened with at one time with lead solder and then also a gold braze.
I don't think the badge has ever been broken but obviously the neck is a weak point on this badge.
The badge may well have been gilded at one time as it does glisten a little under lighting.
I must admit I have not seen this badge in any of my books so I still fear the worst! although I did wonder why anybody would repair a restrike!
Won't put it in the junk box just yet then.
Regards
Colin
Old 04-09-13, 07:30 PM

http://www.coldstreammilitaryantiques.com/shop.php

Just to update this thread a little, I have found this similarly patterned badge on a web page in Militaria Mart (nice price). Although it is a shoulder belt plate It looks a very similar badge to mine although mine has no crown on the grenade.
Any info or thoughts on this badge will be most appreciated from members of the Forum.
Regards
Colin