British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-02-12, 11:00 PM

Default 31st (Alberta) Reconnaissance Regiment (15th Alberta Light Horse

hi i'm new to this site and need some help getting info i am looking for any info on the 31st (Alberta) Reconnaissance Regiment (15th Alberta Light Horse)
this is the regiment my grandfather serverd in. unfortunately he didn't say to much at all of his time in the service all i know is he was sent to england at the end of the war. for prisoner handling and bomb disposal
Old 21-02-12, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Ken, What is it you are looking for?
To start, the 31st was actually made up of both the 19th Alberta Dragoons and the 15th Light Horse. The regiment was the recce battalion for Pacific Command.
Old 21-02-12, 11:39 PM

well all i really know of his service time is he started with the essex regiment tank then he was sent out west where he was posted to 31st (Alberta) Reconnaissance Regiment (15th Alberta Light Horse) i have a few things that he had from his uniform like some felt patches and buttons i also have a pillow cover from essex regiment and my aunt is going to try and copy some pics of him in his uniform as far as any medals i had to fill out all the paper work and have my get my grandmother sign them so i could get his service medal i think he might be entitled to one more for going over seas but not 100% sure i would like to find someone that might still be alive with pics of him while in the service his full name is neil henry walker his service number is A606542 i would like to get a cap badge from his regiment i am trying to find out exactly what it would look like.
Old 22-02-12, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Ken, From what you have said, he would have had cap badges for the Essex Regt (Tank) and the 15th Alberta Light Horse. On the top right corner of this web page you will see a link to the Canadian Post 1920 gallery of badges. Have a look through them and you will find images of both of those badges. Note: The Essex Regt Tank has been reproduced and there are fakes out there.
Can you put up images of the patches?
Old 22-02-12, 12:50 AM

thank you i did get a cap badge off ebay for essex regiment and i was woundering if it was fake it looks very clean for the age that it should be now i just have to find one from salh i will get a pic on here as soon as i can it won't be much they are just plain patches green diamonds and a few grey strips of felt. i was in the E&K i wish he would have still been around then. thanks again for your help
Old 22-02-12, 12:09 PM

Default Alberta in South Africa?

I'm sorry guys, you Canadians seem to have lost your way, this is South Africa; the snow will melt off your badges!

regards,

Iain

It was promptly moved!

Last edited by iaindh; 22-02-12 at 12:28 PM.