British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-01-14, 08:44 PM

TRT

Many thanks for your comments, I've seen your badge several times before and it is one that I have been using as an example of what to look for.

Jim

I haven't got a lot of money invested in this badge so haven't lost a lot if it is proven to be wrong plus I've been collecting long enough to know not to take the moral high ground when there is so much room for doubt.

The bit about the badges being made in the Division's workshops is taken from K&K. I wouldn't expect there to be workshops in the vicinity of the trenches but they must have had them a few miles in the background, it's a bit far to send things for repair all the way back to Plymouth.

Although having said that and having been subjected to the workmanship of Jan Dockies numerous times over the years it's hard to argue that this badge wasn't made there but the thing that sways me is that it is probably a bit too tidy to have come from Guzz dockyard.

Paddy
Old 30-01-14, 01:18 AM

Totally agree re manufacture "in the field" = in theatre not literally in the trenches.

Whilst solder looks soft believe me when I say it has a solid construction.

TT
Old 30-01-14, 09:23 AM

Again I mention Allen Mott's book "The Mudhook" (Machine Gunner) ISBN 0 946995 796 as a good source of photographs of the badge being worn by his Grandfather and others. The RND is definitely below the gun in the photographs, that does not mean that it was always thus.

Again my badge for reference from a well known auctioneer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RND MG.jpg (45.0 KB, 117 views)
Old 30-01-14, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
TRT

Many thanks for your comments, I've seen your badge several times before and it is one that I have been using as an example of what to look for.

Jim

I haven't got a lot of money invested in this badge so haven't lost a lot if it is proven to be wrong plus I've been collecting long enough to know not to take the moral high ground when there is so much room for doubt.

The bit about the badges being made in the Division's workshops is taken from K&K. I wouldn't expect there to be workshops in the vicinity of the trenches but they must have had them a few miles in the background, it's a bit far to send things for repair all the way back to Plymouth.

Although having said that and having been subjected to the workmanship of Jan Dockies numerous times over the years it's hard to argue that this badge wasn't made there but the thing that sways me is that it is probably a bit too tidy to have come from Guzz dockyard.

Paddy
I work in Guzz Dockyard.
Old 30-01-14, 06:55 PM

When I had access to a load of 'ex-Gaunt' stuff, much of it unfinished I came away with a dozen or so R.N.D curved titles, none of them had fittings on the rear and I've always wondered if these were intended for attaching for the machine gun rather than shoulder titles. I still have a few somewhere.
Old 30-01-14, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Maclean View Post
I work in Guzz Dockyard.
You'll know what I mean then Jim :
Old 30-01-14, 08:56 PM

Quote:
You'll know what I mean then Jim :
If you'd ever served then the capabilities of the dockyards would be known to you.
Old 31-01-14, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Maclean View Post
If you'd ever served then the capabilities of the dockyards would be known to you.
Jim

I have been serving for the past 32 years and still got a couple to go. In that time I've had (as well as others) 2 x T21s & 1 x T22 and taken 2 x T42s into refit in Guzz so am well aware of their capabilities. The smilies after my last post were placed there to imply the joking spirit in which the statement was intended.

Paddy
Old 31-01-14, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Jim

I have been serving for the past 32 years and still got a couple to go. In that time I've had (as well as others) 2 x T21s & 1 x T22 and taken 2 x T42s into refit in Guzz so am well aware of their capabilities. The smilies after my last post were placed there to imply the joking spirit in which the statement was intended.

Paddy
Nice one there Paddy!
You also have a very scarce RNDMGB genuine badge to add to your already superb RND collection. I would gladly add it to my collection any day.
The other day I won an RND Officers badge (2nd pattern) I will send some photos when it arrives. long way to go though to match your collection.

Goggs
Old 31-01-14, 03:20 PM

Royston

Is yours the third such example now? How long have u had it? From never seeing a similar one to my example if it's is another it's now three! That is good.

Regards

TRT
Old 31-01-14, 10:56 PM

Hi TRT

Had mine since 1999.

John
Old 31-01-14, 10:58 PM

Hi Sadler32

RND Officer's badge. Is that the one from Bosley's latest auction?

John
Old 01-02-14, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royston View Post
Hi Sadler32

RND Officer's badge. Is that the one from Bosley's latest auction?

John
Good morning John

Good thinking there and spot on. I have been after one for quite a while and did not want to end up with one from 'Blackpool sea front'
Old 02-02-14, 02:51 PM

Hi Sadler32
I Hope it did not cost you too much, noticed it was £100 - £150. I had one so did not bid

John
Old 03-02-14, 09:32 AM

John
PM sent