British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-02-13, 05:30 PM

Default Insignia Queries - British troops in Italy 1944/45

I have some queries regarding regimental flashes worn by infantry units in Italy.

There were some photographs on display at the Land Warfare Hall at IWM Duxford when I visited several years ago which showed members of the 1st Battalion, The Green Howards in Italy. I recall that a couple of photos showed a regimental flash under the arm of service strips but I cannot recall the exact configuration. The flash would have been green and white, and it was square and had a white stripe going diagonally across the square, but I cannot remember which direction it went. Can anyone help please?

Similarly, I recall seeing a flash attributed to the 2nd Battalion, The Royal Fusiliers which was a red felt grenade with a blue "2" embroidered on it. Is this correct?

And finally, were regimental flashes worn by the 1st Bn Hertfordshire Regiment (1st Infantry Division) and 2nd Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire (4th Infantry Division)?

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 09-02-13, 05:49 PM

1 Green Howards, 15 Inf Bde, 5 Inf Div - the white diagonal ran from top right to bottom left of the square (but this may have been worn in facing pairs).

2 RF, 12 Inf Bde, 4 Inf Div - a blue grenade, but I have never seen a reference to a superimposed 2

I Herts, 66 Inf Bde, 1 Inf Div - a small red felt heart.

2 Bedfs Herts, 10 Inf Bde, 4 Inf Div - a black/amber/black rectangle.

Mike
Old 09-02-13, 09:20 PM

Thanks Mike

I think the Fusiliers grenade was on either e-bay or speedbid many years. I made a note of it as it contradicted the information regarding the blue grenade that I have seen in photographs taken in 1940 in the Imperial War Museum.

Thanks for the information on the Beds&Herts and the 1st Hertfordshires as it confirms what I had guessed may have been the case.