British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-12-10, 09:04 PM

Default Lewis Gunner Badge ?

Hello All,
I would appreciate some help with this badge. Is this a Lewis or Light Machine Gunner Proficiency badge? It looks very similar to one in the Gallery posted by Grey-Green-Acorn with other brass and cloth badges which is listed as a Lewis (Light) Machine Gunner. I have also seen a similar one on a thread with HG rather than LG posted by TonyB which was similar in layout to this one.
It came with a single pin through both parts of the badge and the metal backing plate. The lugs on the LG are different to the ones on the wreath so I wondered if they were part of a set made at the same time or by different makers. Also, if it is original, what period would it date from?
Thanks in advance for any help – Regards Alan Y.

LG 1.JPG LG 2.JPG LG 3.jpg
Old 09-12-10, 10:08 PM

Good Evening Alan Y,

In the book "British Army Proficiency Badges" by Edwrds & Langley on page 66, Section 57, "LG" IN WREATH. Item 57A is as your badge. "This was for 1st Class Lewis gunners in the Regular Army. Army Order 80/1917. In 1921 it became the badge for all light machine gunners including those equipped with the Hotchkiss Gun. A bronze version with old English lettering also exists, along with cloth versions and a version in cloth surmounted by a King's crown. Skill at Arms badge worn on the lower left arm.

All good wishes,

Peter
Old 10-12-10, 11:08 AM

Flattering to be quoted at length. Not much to add. Not seen a sealed pattern for the early badges, but the idea of producing wreaths, whether official or private purchase, was a good one, so that LG/ MG/ HG/ O loose letters are common. Cannot imagine anyone would repro, too much effort for too little profit surely?
Oh yes, worsted examples are found, and were PROBABLY the Ordnance issue.
Also worn upper right sleeve by instructors.
Old 10-12-10, 01:57 PM

Good afternoon Peter & Grumpy,
Thanks to you both for your replies and very informative, and clears up what I wanted to know. I haven’t seen the “British Army Proficiency Badges” book as yet, but I will look out for it now I know the title & authors. Regards to you both, Alan Y.
Old 10-12-10, 05:13 PM

Make sure you get the second updated edition.

I think my last copy came off Amazon so not hard to find.
Old 11-12-10, 08:49 AM

The second edition has advantages such as more recent badges added, and a few typos and errors corrected as an amendment sheet BUT the ills. are degraded by the repro. process.

I think I have a few 2nd edition in stock, but no spare 1st.
Old 11-12-10, 07:16 PM

Thanks again REME245 & Grumpy for the information. Can you give me an idea how much one of your books would be if you have one to spare please ? Best regards Alan Y.