British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-18, 07:56 AM

Default What is the difference and are these AIF Medical

Hi all
can any one explain the difference between these arm badges and were these worn by AIF Medics and/or by stretcher bearers ??

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5609.jpg (69.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 28-03-18, 08:54 AM

Rob,

Offhand I couldn't tell you what corps wore exactly what version of the badges you show, but it was worn in NSW and other Australian colonies by Hospital Sergeants, etc, of units such as Artillery, and was known as the Medical Staff Corps badge. It was worn by the Australian Army Medical Corps until after the Great War but was deleted from Priced Vocabulary of Clothing and Necessaries about 1931.

Stretcher bearers in NSW qualified for this badge on an annual basis and could wear it on the certification of the Regimental Medical Officer of their unit or corps that they were proficient (GO 132/1894).

Also Victoria, vide Dress Regulations 1892. Offhand I can't remember if they appeared in Queensland dress regulations of 1893. They were certainly worn in Tasmania.

In 1897 it was restricted in NSW to the Medical Staff Corps (presumably the Army Medical Corps) and stretcher bearers were entitled to the SB intertwined badge (GO 125/1897).

GO 167/1903 approved the intertwined SB badge for stretcher bearers of the Militia and Volunteers who were qualified as such, disappearing after 1912. Replaced by the white armband with red letters SB on it.

Worn also by the Chinese Auxiliary Ambulance Detachment, New Guinea Volunteer Rifles, 1941-1942. Right sleeve below the shoulder of the khaki shirt by European and Chinese personnel of this unit, which was located at Rabaul, New Britain.

Might also have been worn by the first VADs to the Middle East during the Second World War.

Keith
Old 28-03-18, 11:37 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi Rob

To me the middle one at least looks like a pre 1920 Boy Scouts first aid badge, I have these in my scout collection and they conform to the hand book, Boy Scouts tests and how to pass them from the 1920's.

Regards

Phil.
Old 29-03-18, 03:03 AM

Thanks Phil are you able to scan or photograph the page and email me a copy at jrm@bigpond.net.au

Cheers Rob
Old 29-03-18, 03:21 AM

So can any one tell me which are WW1 and which are not and what period would they be??

Rob
Old 29-03-18, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
Rob,

Offhand I couldn't tell you what corps wore exactly what version of the badges you show, but it was worn in NSW and other Australian colonies by Hospital Sergeants, etc, of units such as Artillery, and was known as the Medical Staff Corps badge. It was worn by the Australian Army Medical Corps until after the Great War but was deleted from Priced Vocabulary of Clothing and Necessaries about 1931.

Stretcher bearers in NSW qualified for this badge on an annual basis and could wear it on the certification of the Regimental Medical Officer of their unit or corps that they were proficient (GO 132/1894).

Also Victoria, vide Dress Regulations 1892. Offhand I can't remember if they appeared in Queensland dress regulations of 1893. They were certainly worn in Tasmania.

In 1897 it was restricted in NSW to the Medical Staff Corps (presumably the Army Medical Corps) and stretcher bearers were entitled to the SB intertwined badge (GO 125/1897).

GO 167/1903 approved the intertwined SB badge for stretcher bearers of the Militia and Volunteers who were qualified as such, disappearing after 1912. Replaced by the white armband with red letters SB on it.

Worn also by the Chinese Auxiliary Ambulance Detachment, New Guinea Volunteer Rifles, 1941-1942. Right sleeve below the shoulder of the khaki shirt by European and Chinese personnel of this unit, which was located at Rabaul, New Britain.

Might also have been worn by the first VADs to the Middle East during the Second World War.

Keith
Keith,

THAT is an AWESOME response!

What a tour de force This forum never ceases to amaze me!

Mark