British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-11-20, 03:54 PM

Default Mystery 'I Carry On' badge?

Here is a badge that I've occasionally seen at fairs for a good few decades now.

It does not appear in Jon's 'Doing Their Bit' WW2 Home Front badges bible, however, it is very similar in design to some of the National Service industrial war work badges that do appear in the book.

The 'C' of 'Carry' looks remarkably like the 'C' in the name brand logo of Caffyn's, the famous Sussex/Kent car dealer who was engaged on war work, as indeed does the rest of the font, though, of course, this could be just completely coincidental.

The surrounding quote is clearly a paraphrased version of Churchill's famous 20th August 1940 Battle of Britain 'The Few' speech which praised the men of RAF Fighter Command - however, what has that got to do with this (possible) national service badge or its wearer?

The badge is of the lapel type and has no maker name to the rear, just 'REG APPD FOR'.

Any information behind this mysterious badge would be welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i carry.jpg (31.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 06-11-20, 06:39 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

I saw one of these on eBay which was being sold with the rather dubious description of ‘Home Guard’. There is however one for sale at monsmilitaryantiques.co.uk which is described as a badge ‘that was awarded to workers who’d carried on working during air raids’ during ww2.
https://monsmilitaryantiques.co.uk/p...n-lapel-badge/
Cheers
James
Old 06-11-20, 08:42 PM

how about awarded to women / mothers who lost a loved on in the Battle of Britain ? but carried in essential war work... just a guess