British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-08-23, 10:40 AM

Default London Guards Regiment SNCO Badge

I think this is probably the rarest badge that I have.
A London Guards Regiment Senior NCO badge.
Made by Firmins. A 2 piece assembly, London Guards on the garter, with what I assume is the Westminster portcullis on top of which is a quartered shield with a sword in the top left.
Now to try and find the officers version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230802_113320.jpg (86.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 20230802_113327.jpg (88.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-08-23, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther1 View Post
I think this is probably the rarest badge that I have.
A London Guards Regiment Senior NCO badge.
Made by Firmins. A 2 piece assembly, London Guards on the garter, with what I assume is the Westminster portcullis on top of which is a quartered shield with a sword in the top left.
Now to try and find the officers version.
London Guards sounds like a civilian security agency in my opinion. Yet another fig leaf for a much denuded British ‘Army’ (defence force). A very sad, if not shameful state of affairs. I realise that this is nothing to do with your badge collecting, but hope that my reflections can be forgiven on this occasion.
Old 02-08-23, 11:59 AM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
London Guards sounds like a civilian security agency in my opinion. Yet another fig leaf for a much denuded British ‘Army’ (defence force). A very sad, if not shameful state of affairs. I realise that this is nothing to do with your badge collecting, but hope that my reflections can be forgiven on this occasion.
I concur wholeheartedly with your opinion Toby, many of us do.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 02-08-23, 12:05 PM

Quote:
London Guards sounds like a civilian security agency in my opinion.
The London Guards is an administrative formation within the British Army comprising the reserve companies of the British Army's Grenadier, Coldstream, Scots and Irish Guards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Guards

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/c...london-guards/

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 02-08-23, 12:49 PM

It was a shame to have lost both the London Scottish and London Irish.
Interesting problem from HM Queen Elizabeth's funeral for Prince Edward ref this regiment. As the Regiments Colonel, and that it was only recently formed there was still work to do on the ceremonial uniform. He decided to wear one regimental button from each guards regiment on his tunic. This, I am lead to believe, is a violation of the Geneva convention. It must be clearly identifiable to which unit you belong to which you can't do with buttons from different regiments and a different cap badge. Interesting theory I thought, but let's be fair, if Prince Edward is captured by the enemy in full ceremonial dresswe will be in a bad way.
Old 02-08-23, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
The London Guards is an administrative formation within the British Army comprising the reserve companies of the British Army's Grenadier, Coldstream, Scots and Irish Guards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Guards

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/c...london-guards/

I know exactly what it is having done plenty of research. It has a cap badge with a regimental title incorporated in it. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it’s generally a duck, regardless of what obfuscation lays behind it. A bit like ‘The Rangers’ (God help us…).
Old 02-08-23, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Interesting problem from HM Queen Elizabeth's funeral for Prince Edward ref this regiment. As the Regiments Colonel, and that it was only recently formed there was still work to do on the ceremonial uniform. He decided to wear one regimental button from each guards regiment on his tunic. This, I am lead to believe, is a violation of the Geneva convention. It must be clearly identifiable to which unit you belong to which you can't do with buttons from different regiments and a different cap badge. Interesting theory I thought, but let's be fair, if Prince Edward is captured by the enemy in full ceremonial dresswe will be in a bad way.
How very British. Let’s compromise…

There is already a perfectly suitable design that with some small tweaking would make a historically acceptable button in the badge of the old Guards Depot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9014.jpeg (49.6 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 02-08-23 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-08-23, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nothing in The Geneva Convention about having to reveal your unit so this is a fallacy. He was breaking Army Dress Ctte rules however.
Old 02-08-23, 03:04 PM

To get an objective and unbiased view of what’s happened to the British Army I recommend this thought provoking short essay by Dr Simon Anglim. https://www.kcl.ac.uk/global-britain...d-land-warfare

It’s very telling that in the fulsome tribute that he pays to the British Army soldiers and officers who have engaged in operations since the start of the Blair government, and up to the present day, he specifically excludes the Generals in command and their heads in the General Staff. I have say that I agree with that exclusion.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 02-08-23 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-08-23, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I know exactly what it is having done plenty of research.
I posted the info/links for the benefit of the 'inexperienced' like myself.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 02-08-23, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I posted the info/links for the benefit of the 'inexperienced' like myself.

No worries Mike, I should have realised that you meant well and I understand your intent, it’s just that you quoted me and that gave a different impression than what you intended.
Old 02-08-23, 04:15 PM

Nice badge.
Tony.
Old 02-08-23, 05:14 PM

Very tongue in cheek - Regarding the multi-guards unit representation conundrum could resuscitate and adapt : Guards Machine Gun Battalion or Household Brigade Officer Cadet Battalion, if you wanted a composite, representative badge - more pleasing to an old foggy than the bland designs we have today - mind you, I guess a few units have gone ... Being an old grump ... I guess I live in the past
Old 02-08-23, 07:48 PM

Im not keen on this London Guards Regiment. It should be called something else imho. No items from this unit will be entering my collection.
Andy
Old 02-08-23, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
Im not keen on this London Guards Regiment. It should be called something else imho. No items from this unit will be entering my collection.
Andy
It’s garbage Andy and the first time since the restoration of the Monarchy after Cromwell that the Sovereign has ever had an auxiliary unit as part of his/her bodyguard.