British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-11-17, 12:01 AM

Default First post-WW1 Canadian cap badges

Hi there guys
This is my first post on the forum, so take it easy with me!

My grandfather was in the Royal Highlanders "Black Watch" during WW1. I have his medals, Pip, Squeak and Wilfred and noticed that they include the 1914 Star. Amongst other belongings, I found these two badges. I have searched online for a similar "67" badge but can't find one with the cougar/puma on it. I would welcome your comments.
Also is the silver badge a Canadian Black Watch regiment?
The next question is how did he get hold/swap these badges. His battalion was the 1/5 Battalion seems to have been assimilated into other groups during the course of the war. I am feeling very proud of him as I only found out he was one of the "Old Contemptibles" recently.

Thanks in advance
Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mir_20171104_232834 (Small).jpg (63.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg mir_20171104_232900 (Small).jpg (77.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg mir_20171104_232918 (Small).jpg (70.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-11-17, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Roger, re the badge with the 67, it is a collar for the 67th Bn Canadian Expeditionary Force.
Old 05-11-17, 03:28 AM

The 1/5th Battalion would have been a Territorial Battalion. The term "Old Contemptibles" refers to the Regular Army of 1914.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 05-11-17, 06:07 AM

Surely 'Old Contemptibles' refers to anyone who qualified for the 1914 Star? I know the kaiser's comment was aimed at the regular British Army of the day but a 1914 Star recipient would have been eligible to join the club.

The silver BW badge looks like a sweetheart brooch.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 05-11-17, 09:54 PM

Thanks for your quick responses. So how did my grandfather in the Royal Highlanders have a Canadian collar badge, were these items swapped? If so I assume he must have been in contact with the Canadians troops. Was the "overseas" badge given to Canadian troops that served overseas, might seem a silly question or was the "overseas" part of the battalion emblem.

As for the broach, is this of Canadian origin? It's not possible to make out the upper engraving.

Really appreciate your time and effort.
Roger
Old 05-11-17, 10:16 PM

I think an enterprising Frenchman may have made the broach! Just put it under the microscope, think the thick Scottish accent may have caused a problem. Instead of BLACK watch it says BLARK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171105_220529 (Custom).jpg (70.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-11-17, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Roger, swapping badges was common. Many soldiers made up souvenir belts, with badges and buttons.
Overseas was the designation given to battalions raised for service in the UK and France and Flanders.
Old 06-11-17, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Surely 'Old Contemptibles' refers to anyone who qualified for the 1914 Star? I know the kaiser's comment was aimed at the regular British Army of the day but a 1914 Star recipient would have been eligible to join the club.

The silver BW badge looks like a sweetheart brooch.

Cheers,

Alex
Alex, the Old Contemptibles were those who were in action, under fire, between 5th August and 22nd November 1914 and who were eligible for the 1914 Star with clasp for that period. The 1914 Star without the clasp was awarded to those who were in theatre but not in action between those dates. TF units at 1st Ypres included 1st London Scottish and 1st Hertfordshire Regiment at least so were entitled to Old Contemptible status and the 1914 Star with clasp.
Old 06-11-17, 07:07 PM

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/de..._contemptibles

Old Contemptibles
PROPER NOUN
The veterans of the British Expeditionary Force sent to France in the First World War (1914), so named because of a supposed German reference to the ‘contemptible little army’ facing them.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.