British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-03-14, 08:47 PM
Former Member

I think the bladed examples are pure fantasy items and from a practical point they would cause a lot of damage to the tunic! Bronzed and with a brooch fitting are probably a more likely combination?

http://www.sellmymilitaria.com/site/...ngs&Itemid=477

Andy
Old 12-03-14, 09:37 PM

The wings were actually made for the frames, they were never intended to be badges, moreover, they were quite contempory and have existed since the end of the Great War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I have had a conversation with an old friend who has a frame which had a pair of bronze wings on it. He took the wings off years ago, when I asked him what the fixings were and he said blades.

Obviously, these were not that practical for wearing and most ended up adorning photo frames.

Rob
Old 12-03-14, 09:43 PM

Hello Andy,
Sadly, this quite spurious story has been enduring for at least sixty years, many people still believe it, they have actually "been" convinced or have merely convinced themselves that they are actual badges and matters are not helped by the idiots who peddle the current generation of these "wings" pure fantasy indeed, just about sums it up I'm afraid.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
I think the bladed examples are pure fantasy items and from a practical point they would cause a lot of damage to the tunic! Bronzed and with a brooch fitting are probably a more likely combination?

http://www.sellmymilitaria.com/site/...ngs&Itemid=477

Andy

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 12-03-14 at 10:04 PM.
Old 13-03-14, 08:59 PM

Default RFC wings

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/wwi/britain/britain.shtml

I think you may find this site helpful.

Graham
Old 14-03-14, 04:25 PM

Default Fantasytastic . . !

Well, apart from me being wrong on the choice of fittings, these "badges" do appear to have been worn for a short period in the very early days of the RFC.

Rob
Old 15-03-14, 08:34 AM

There is a pair of genuine silver gilded wings in my RAF album if anyone is interested , They are solid , flat backed and broached , I have not shown the back as it could give detail for fakers, I bought them from the Daughter of Air Marshall Soreley. Kev
Old 15-03-14, 11:21 AM

Here they are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rfc wings.jpg (2.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 15-03-14, 04:37 PM

Hello Rob,
I was not suggesting that the original Army Flying Badge was not actually worn, merely, that there is a very profound differance between those and what was the component part of a photograph frame which was of a similar design and have, for very many years, been sold as the former, of course, the example shown in the original post on this thread is not even an example of the later, it is a completely spurious item that was made yesterday!
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Well, apart from me being wrong on the choice of fittings, these "badges" do appear to have been worn for a short period in the very early days of the RFC.

Rob

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 15-03-14 at 05:06 PM.
Old 15-03-14, 06:07 PM

Cool RFC wings

Sorry to cause confusion with my replies to this post, my point was that the early RFC did wear this type of insignia prior to the Great War.

As to when the first set were used to decorate a photo frame, this has probably been lost in time, no doubt a set of "bronzed wings" on a frame was far better than the bullion variety and did not attract dust and moths.

In my opinion on badges the term "Fantasy item" would refer to something that has never officially existed and has been produced for either theatrical/film use, not something that has been produced from an official pattern of badge that existed at one point in history, these I would describe as "fake".

Regards Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 15-03-14 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Grammar . . !
Old 15-03-14, 06:16 PM

I would like to point out there was only 103 officers in the RFC in aug 1914 and i would doubt if they all had a pair of these wings as pilots.
Andy
Old 17-03-14, 06:56 AM

Default RFC metal wings

Hello,

Warren Carroll's book "Eagles Recalled" illustrates a number of examples of original RFC metal wings.

See also http://www.britairforce.com/other/RFC_Metal_Wing.htm including the link within the page to another site.

The majority of the ones that are on offer these days are reproductions / fakes, albeit some appear to be struck from an original die.

It's defiantly a case of "Buyer beware" when it comes to these types of RFC metal wings.

Last edited by Insignia; 17-03-14 at 02:53 PM.
Old 24-05-20, 02:59 PM

Default Silver RFC wings

The Honourable Artillery Company of London (Founded 1537) is said to be the oldest regiment of the British Army, albeit this is disputed by the Royal Monmouthshire Militia. In 1830 King William IV decreed that the HAC would wear the same uniform as that of the Grenadier Guards with gold lace and gold buttons replaced by lace and buttons in silver. This applied to the Infantry Battalion, the Artillery Division and the Jagers at the time. After WW2 the Army Dress Committee reiterated these regulations for the Infantry Bn. Hence all rank badges, trade and qualification badges were in silver instead of gold. Thus RAF wings would be in silver wire for No 1 Dress (Blues) and Mess Dress. During my service in the 1960s I had a colleague who had been an RAF Sqn Ldr and he wore silver wire wings on No. Dress. Many members of the HAC transferred to the RFC during WW1 and many would have returned to the HAC afterwards. They would thus have been eligible to wear RFC wings in silver wire on No.1 and Mess Dress. It is thus possible that the full-size and miniature-size RFC silver metal wings might also have been worn although they had been replaced by wire versions by that time. However, I have as yet found no photographic evidence of such RFC wings in wear. Today I work in the HAC Museum and Archives.