British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-09-13, 09:40 AM

Default British Berets

I m hoping that someone can help with some information concerning the sweatbands on British army issue OR's berets. This is what I think I know.
WWII to late 60’s leather sweatband
Late 60’s 90’s nylon sweatband
90’s to present leather
I know that the issue berets in the 80’s were Kangol with nylon sweatbands cos that’s what I was issued with. And I think that Kangol makes the current ones with leather sweatbands.
And did any other contractors make berets I have seen Compton and Webb & Kangol
Thanks.
Graham

Last edited by Loski; 03-09-13 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-09-13, 02:25 PM

Wrong service I know but as an Air Cadet (ATC) from '78-'83 and RAF '83-'92 berets used were Kangol and Compton Webb and had some form of cloth sweatband- I far preferred the Compton Webb type but from about '87 used a privately bought leather sweatband beret. Regards, Paul.
Old 02-09-13, 04:19 PM

Paul's (Wardog) mentioning of the ATC berets reminds me of mine. In the mid 60's mine had a leather sweatband as I recall, although I have no idea who the maker was.

I have two Guards berets, one I bought from the Guards Museum shop a couple of years ago which has a leather sweatband, while the other, badged to the Irish Guards I bought at a show about a year ago and has a cloth band. I would have to check on the maker's names.
David
Old 02-09-13, 04:46 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

J.C.S. & W. Ltd
Old 02-09-13, 06:13 PM

Silk sweatband for officers, leather for OR's.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 02-09-13, 10:52 PM

The Irish Guards beret I have has an ORs badge, but a cloth band.
David
Old 03-09-13, 08:14 AM

Thanks Chaps and keep it coming
Old 03-09-13, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
J.C.S. & W. Ltd
I find this thread interesting as I am trying to learn about wartime and post was British berets and so far if I am correct believe J.C.S. & W Ltd stands for J. Compton Sons and Webb who produced post war berets up until the name changed (don't know the year) to Compton (Headdress and Gloves) Ltd. It then changed in December 1977 to Compton Webb (Headdress) Limited.

I have a green RM Commando beret with a bronze other ranks cap badge that was made by Compton (Headdress and Gloves) Ltd. so it is pre 1977 which has a material (not sure if it's nylon or silk) headband as opposed to leather.

Jack
Old 03-09-13, 09:27 PM

As a Sea Cadet in the early 80's I was issued a Kangol beret. The band was leather, had no linning (The Kangol stamp was on the inside) and a cardboard/ leather square to supprt the badge. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough as it was shapeless and uncomfortable! I replaced it with a proper pussers issue Compton & Web with the material sweat band. And yes I removed the plastic sweat shield at the advice of my mate who was "proper Navy" 'cos it made you go bald!

When I joined the R.N. in the late 80's we were issued the same Compton & Webb berets with material sweat band.

Regards,

Andy
Old 03-09-13, 09:36 PM

The 70's to early 90's British Forces Beret had a Polyester Cotton Weave Headband (Sweatband)
Why? Becouse it was cheaper than Leather at the time.

Officers either wore an OR's Beret with Leather Headband if they could get one, or purchased a Beret with Leather Headband with Silk Liner (never a Silk Headband)

In my 22 plus years in the Army I never cut out the 'cotton' liner, but did remove the plastic diamond shaped liner, not becouse some 'old sweat' told me it would make me bald, but becouse it made my head sweat! and it helped to shape the beret - simples.

I shaped my beret by soaking it in hot (not boiling) water, cooled it, wrung it out and wore it to shape, then took it off to dry.

Badge above by left eye (erm veering to over the nose at times) with suplus pulled over my right ear and back! The way I still wear in in the RBL, not pulled forward like Andy Cap (each to thier own)

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 03-09-13 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-09-13, 09:37 PM

I have seen mention on the Great War Forum regards the name Compton Webb- I'll check for it.-
Looks to be that they used the marking J Compton and Sons during WWI and became J. Compton Sons and Webb between the wars? Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 03-09-13 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-09-13, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
I never cut out the 'cotton' liner, but did remove the plastic diamond shaped liner, not becouse some 'old sweat' told me it would make me bald, but becouse it made my head sweat! and it helped to shape the beret - simples.
Must have worked though, 'cos after the eleven or so years I wore a Compton & Webb beret with the sweat shield removed, I still have all my hair
Old 03-09-13, 09:56 PM

As have I yet a friend half my age who never served has a forehead line that almost meets his neck LoL

Interesting link on Beret Manufacture (PDF File)

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 04-09-13, 02:23 PM

Default British Berets

Hi just out of interest I thought I'd post some pictures of the various berets that I have worn over the years.

No1 & 2 Royal Naval Reserve Beret issued 1993 with nylon fabric sweat band. (Blackened cap badge as I was serving with a Port Defence Party in the Seaward Defence Branch)

No3 & 4 Royal Navy Beret issued 1995 with leather sweat band.

No 5 & 6 Sea Cadet Corps Adult Petty Officer Instructor Beret issued 2012.

No 7 Detail of new type cap badge and eyelets on SCC beret.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No 1 Beret Royal Naval Reserve Issue 1992.jpg (53.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg No 2 RNR issue Beret Inner..jpg (58.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg No 3 Royal Navy Beret issued 1995.jpg (26.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg No 4 Royal Navy Beret Inner.jpg (53.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg No 5 Sea Cadet Corps Beret Issued 2012.jpg (29.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg No 6 SCC Beret Inner.jpg (60.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg No 7 SCC Beret Badge eyelets.jpg (27.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-09-13, 03:26 PM

I'm not sure if it adds much to the debate but here is my 39 years worth. Four - Surrey Yeomanry, RA blue beret, RMAS and SOLF - are excluded on the grounds of not being green:
Berets Green Assorted.jpg