British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-09-17, 04:57 PM

Default Gaunt B'Ham Essex Yeomanry - Genuine?

Hi,
I have this Essex Yeomanry badge presumably the small sidecap/beret version, anywhere c.1952-1963, according to Gaylor/Kipling & King.
The problem it is MM'd Gaunt B'Ham. Surely the time-frame is wrong for a Gaunt B'Ham badge.
It looks very convincing! Can anyone confirm if it is correct or a later Gaunt copy.
Many thanks
Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170926_163555.jpg (46.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20170926_163607.jpg (49.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20170926_164527.jpg (36.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 26-09-17, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

I think it's a restrike from the 1970's period when Gaunts were making such things
Old 26-09-17, 06:35 PM

Thanks Alan,

Guessed as much but still nice to get a confirmation.

Cheers
Andy
Old 30-09-17, 10:55 PM

Didn't Chris Marsh in his book find that Gaunt did produce some AA badges in the 1960s (Queen's Regiment comes to mind), so this back stamp could be OK for some badges?

Since the EY re-roled at the end of the 60s and changed badge, it is therefore a possibility (stress possibility) that a batch were authorised and produced but there was no opportunity to issue them hence the bulk appearance in the 1970s when they were by then redundant items.

On balance I believe they are restrike given the number of unit badges appearing on the scene at that time and the size of this unit, but they could be one of Chris's legit items. Does anyone have the pattern card, that would show for sure if Gaunt had been involved in this one.

This is the most common of the four maker names on this badge (but still not exactly common...)
Old 01-10-17, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Gaunt Bham is indeed found on mid 1960s a/a badges.

In this case a brass k/c badge is well outside the period that Gaunt used the Bham mark. By the time that the Gaunt Bham mark had been made the Essex Yeomanry badges were both q/c and sealed for production in a/a.
Old 01-10-17, 09:17 AM

Thanks Alan, I really must pay closer attention and then I would have seen the first post was for the brass badge rather than wittering on about anodised stuff .. Oops, apologies.

Yes agree that one with Gaunt mark is definitely a restrike. The correct one has an unmarked slide.