British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-10-17, 02:08 AM

Default Printed Pegasus Patches - Colour Variations

I recently acquired two unissued printed Pegasus patches. I was quite surprised about the dark maroon colour compared to my other two pairs of patches which are mounted on BDs and obviously have been worn. Same surprise on the sky blue although not the same on both patches, one being more turquoise type of blue. It is possible that after a few days of exposure to sunlight or rain, the colours have faded to a more reddish type of maroon and the blue turning to almost white. Quality of inks used could have been a factor.

If I refer to Ken Joyce’s excellent book on the Canadian Battalion, several variations of patches have been recorded due to the large number of printing firms that were involved in the manufacturing process from 1942 to 1945. ‘These include slight differences in the silhouette of the Bellerophon on Pegasus as well as variations in the shade of colour used.’ (ref. p114)
All the patches that I have were printed on Drill No #2 cotton coarse weave.

I have attached a few photos as well as close-up of particular details.
I’d like to have other opinions and collectively maybe we can find some of the variations Ken Joyce referred to.

Thanks.
Pierre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Printed Pegasus Front 2.jpg (69.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Pair of Used Printed Pegasus.jpg (86.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Pair of Used Printed Pegasus 2.jpg (83.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Printed Pegasus Close-up Comp Right.jpg (83.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Printed Pegasus Close-up Comp Left.jpg (77.1 KB, 78 views)
Old 12-10-17, 06:53 AM

Showing the reverse is usually telling with these. They do cone in a variety of shades for both the backing and the figures. Also they come in coarse and fine weave variants. The new pair appear fine from the front

Jerry
Old 12-10-17, 02:49 PM

Great thread Gentlemen ! Thanks for the information .
Old 12-10-17, 04:25 PM

I am pleased to read of reference to the work and research of Ken Joyce embodied within 'Into the Maelstrom'. His book 'Crimson Spearhead' is another book I would recommend as the definitive work on FSSF insignia in my opinion. There is superb reference to Ranger tabs too within 'Crimson Spearhead'.
Mike
Old 12-10-17, 09:38 PM

Ollie Lock's British Airborne Insignia (Vol.1, Military Mode Publishing 2015) has a good section on Pegasus patches, along with other insignia.

Jerry
Old 13-10-17, 08:31 PM

I am absolutely staggered by the prices being sought these days!
Old 15-10-17, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Ollie Lock's British Airborne Insignia (Vol.1, Military Mode Publishing 2015) has a good section on Pegasus patches, along with other insignia.
You're right, the back of these patches can reveal extra details and it is the case when I compare the unissued ones with others.
It looks to me the fabric pattern shows some differences with some sort of diagonal texture on the issued example as opposed to the other one.
As already mentioned, all patches I compared were printed on cotton coarse weave.

P. Lock's book seems to show the same difference on page 179 (bottom photo on the left). It could well be one of the variants mentioned by K. Joyce.

Anyone with other variants (figures of colour)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Printed Pegasus Back 2.jpg (88.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Printed Pegasus Close-up Comp Back 2.jpg (110.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Printed Pegasus Close-up Comp Back.jpg (118.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 18-10-17, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
You're right, the back of these patches can reveal extra details and it is the case when I compare the unissued ones with others.
It looks to me the fabric pattern shows some differences with some sort of diagonal texture on the issued example as opposed to the other one.
As already mentioned, all patches I compared were printed on cotton coarse weave.

P. Lock's book seems to show the same difference on page 179 (bottom photo on the left). It could well be one of the variants mentioned by K. Joyce.

Anyone with other variants (figures of colour)?
I said at the start that I thought these look fine, the backs confirm that IMO. As with many badges, it is the combination of different features that allow us to make a decision on good or bad. Whilst some find the more earthy patches as incorrect and the same for the vivid blue, others find them fine and original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 peggies collection sv.jpg (66.4 KB, 118 views)

Jerry
Old 18-10-17, 12:31 PM

Hello Jerry,
Your own collection seems to have grown since you originally mentioned that rather "short" example in another thread!
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
I said at the start that I thought these look fine, the backs confirm that IMO. As with many badges, it is the combination of different features that allow us to make a decision on good or bad. Whilst some find the more earthy patches as incorrect and the same for the vivid blue, others find them fine and original.
Old 18-10-17, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Jerry,
Your own collection seems to have grown since you originally mentioned that rather "short" example in another thread!
Regards Frank
Indeed Frank, I think they have been breeding......

Jerry
Old 18-10-17, 09:45 PM

Thanks Jerry for sharing your collection.

It is amazing the variety of blue you have in your patches.
The dark blue on the top left is quite unusual. The dark maroon with pale blue on the right seems very close to mine. The other printed ones (not to mention the "India" one) are quite typical and what I would expect with printed patches with pale turquoise blue.
Are they all on coarse wave cotton? Any difference in material thickness?

I don't see any obvious differences on the figures (except on the "India" badge of course).
Cheers
Pierre
Old 20-10-17, 01:05 PM

Hello everyone,
I came across this the other day and wanted to know of you guys think this is good or bad? If it's bad could anyone point me in the direction of aqquiting a good printer India Pegasus?

Thanks

Site where I found this: http://www.wdmilitaria.co.uk/shop.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.5 KB, 69 views)
Old 20-10-17, 03:29 PM

Fine an dandy nothing wrong there ,this style of pegasus ( the India examples ) have a very ` certain ` look to the surface when they are well worn a kind of salt an pepper look i call it where the base color shows through the red /maroon and have a certain smooth silky ? feel to them and the lettering should be clunky and crude with large poor lettering.

A lot of these were made on poor quality machinery and its quite common for each individual badge to vary also to get two together cut of the roll that are different , number of feathers etc. dont pay a lot pal there not that rare.
Old 28-10-22, 05:49 PM

Very informative thread. Thanks guys.
Old 29-10-22, 05:24 PM

Glad you like it.
It is amazing to see how these patches can fetch three-figure prices these days, not even for a pair! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144770919...mis&media=MORE