British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-02-18, 10:49 AM

Default Household Cavalry WW2 question

Did the ORs in the WW2 Household Cavalry armoured car regiments wear the specific GviR HCR cap badge, or their own LG and RHG badges? I know this may seem to fall into the category of 'the bleeding obvious', but one thing I've learned being on this forum is never to take anything for granted! All information gratefully received.
Old 02-02-18, 02:49 PM

Location: I live in New Brighton on the Wirral, in the north West of England.

Thats a good question? At a guess, based on the number of GVII badges of both regiments and the scarcity of the Household Badge I would say both badges.
Old 02-02-18, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
I know this may seem to fall into the category of 'the bleeding obvious', but one thing I've learned being on this forum is never to take anything for granted! All information gratefully received.
So very true, I've learnt the same, and I've now learnt to note down where I found X information which I haven't done, apologies, on this topic, apart from an oblique reference to the Army Historical Research journal. But the notes I have are that 1HCR and 2HCR wore the LG and RHG badges and both badges were present in each regiment as per the sqn basis upon which each was raised, i.e. 1HCR = RHQ LG, 2 x LG & 1 x RHG sabre sqns and RHG = RHQ RHG, 2 x RHG & 1 x LG sabre sqns.

The attached are the GVIR versions for LG and RHG.
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LG_gm.jpg (51.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg RHG_gm.jpg (49.8 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by rac1944; 02-02-18 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-02-18, 08:22 PM

Many thanks for both replies. Certainly the HCR badge is very hard to come by, so it makes sense that they would have worn their own regimental badges.
Old 03-03-18, 05:39 PM

I have never seen a photograph of anyone in either the 1st or 2nd regiment actually wearing that badge, certainly all the images I have seen show only the badges of their original regiment being worn on their berets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
Did the ORs in the WW2 Household Cavalry armoured car regiments wear the specific GviR HCR cap badge, or their own LG and RHG badges? I know this may seem to fall into the category of 'the bleeding obvious', but one thing I've learned being on this forum is never to take anything for granted! All information gratefully received.
Old 04-03-18, 12:57 AM

That's a useful piece of information -- thank you. It may mean I don't have to chase up an elusive (and expensive) badge to make up a WW2 British armoured regiments collection.
Old 04-03-18, 04:09 PM

I think, if I were you, I would certainly buy one, notwithstanding, if you look at photographs of the men in question, actually on campaign, whilst they are not always as clear as you might wish, except portraits, they do not have that little bit of "strap" at the bottom of the circlet on their badges, which an HCR does have.
Old 04-03-18, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the tip. I certainly would obtain one, given the opportunity, but I'm happy now to bide my time.
Old 13-03-18, 02:05 PM

I think you need to buy one, the pre war members who would make up both 1st and 2nd regiments would have been issued with one to wear on their forage caps, as recruits, I dare say those few who had joined during the show and actually stayed on after it had ended, would have been issued with the badge as well.

The basic ranker's badges were handsome and nicely cast, the soldiers who wore them, were very exceptional, the late Sir Brian Horrocks actually told me that they were "without doubt, the finest armoured car regiment, I had ever seen"
Old 13-03-18, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the additional info, Frank. Now to find one!
Old 15-03-18, 08:07 AM

Well, I was going to say that they are not scarce and you should have no problem whatsoever, but, I hope you manage to do better than me this morning, I know I have some, although, despite looking for about half an hour, I only found one very lonely example in a box with a handful of Life Guards.

Notwithstanding, the badge is a very typical example, a point for you to note is the flaw on the reverse die, which they always seem to have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030323.jpg (56.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg P1030324.jpg (47.9 KB, 41 views)
Old 15-03-18, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Well, I was going to say that they are not scarce and you should have no problem whatsoever, but, I hope you manage to do better than me this morning, I know I have some, although, despite looking for about half an hour, I only found one very lonely example in a box with a handful of Life Guards.

Notwithstanding, the badge is a very typical example, a point for you to note is the flaw on the reverse die, which they always seem to have.
I would love to see your collection Frank.
Andy
Old 15-03-18, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post

They seem very difficult to find online. At least now I know what to look for! Cheers, Frank.
Old 18-03-18, 02:02 PM

Well, I suppose, these days, it might well be a case of simply buying the next example you see, I would not have any sleepless nights about it, although, just looking around, I am slightly surprised at the awful price being sought, as well as actually be paid, for badges that I would have thought were common.
I would not be too concerned either way if I were you.
Old 19-03-18, 12:44 AM

Agreed. I might just wait and see what turns up locally.